FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Anxiety and depression

Rupes79
Community Member

Hi Everyone,

Is it possible to have anxiety but not depression? I feel my symptoms are more in line with someone suffering anxiety but that makes you feel pretty awful about life which is sort of associated with depression.

Do the two go hand in hand? 

Thanks

5 Replies 5

blues23
Community Member

Hi rupes79

im not sure I feel like I have anxiety but a few medical professionals have told me it sounds like  I have depression. I don’t know I was told there are 2 types of depression one is chemical and one is environmental ( I can’t remember if this is the correct word it may be situational depression not sure ) what is making u feel depressed /anxious ? I hope it’s ok I asked that sometimes it helps to let it out . 

Rupes79
Community Member

Hi Blues and thanks for your response. I’m told the anxiety stems from a trauma response but have also been told to park the trauma for the time being and focus on the short term anxiety issue which I am OK with as a strategy. I guess the anxiety makes me feel pretty bad in general about like which leads me to the depression question but either way it’s not exactly pleasant

Amanda2000
Community Member

Hi Rupes79,

I suffer from both and the 2 conditions kind of feed-off each other as you have described. For myself, most of the time it starts with anxiety. My anxiety can become so strong that I'll want to avoid everything and everyone. And then I go into depression, like living in a nightmare that I cannot get out of.

Have you been able to find some ways to cope? It's taken me a while to figure out what works for myself.

Take care.

Hi Amanda,

That seems very similar to what I experience. I have been taught some coping mechanisms yes and when the anxiety is more low level they have worked. Lately though the anxiety has been overwhelming unfortunately and the only coping mechanism I’m finding that works is alcohol. I do everything I can to minimize it but I can’t get away from it at the moment. 

blues23
Community Member

No it’s not pleasant at all I wish I had more answers for u . I know how you feel and it’s truly awful to be feeling the way you are . I get it , I live it everyday. Do u have anyone to talk to ? Seen ur gp ? It’s hard putting ur hand up saying u need help but I hope  you can ask for help and I hope in time u feel more at ease