FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

socially dissatisfied and struggling to balance university life

mynameisjosh
Community Member

I'm a 20 y/o male and have my whole life ahead of me. Im studying what will lead me to my dream job. I have an amazing and supportive girlfriend. I work 3 jobs, volunteer and am generally active in the community. Yet most days i feel pretty lonely. Im so caught up worrying about the things i have to be doing currently to ensure a successful and happy future, yet I'm not feeling happy in the present. My girlfriend is  busy (like me) so we don't get to spend much time together. My best friends live in another city and are not good at texting. Where i currently am, i feel as if i don't have any good friends. Everyone i've met, although they are nice, i don't have a connection with. Most people i meet don't have the same priorities as me. I exercise, drink rarely and am usually focusing on work. The people that are like minded to me, feel like competition. Am i really making good choices if I'm constantly feeling socially dissatisfied? If I'm not then what do i sacrifice? i don't want to lose any opportunities as thats what ive been working so hard for. 

1 Reply 1

Sophie_M
Hi mynameisjosh, 

We’re so sorry to hear how lost you feel. We can hear you've been having trouble connecting to others and feeling alone. Your twenties can be an especially difficult time for many people. For difficult moments the Beyond Blue counsellors are here for you and would welcome your call or online chat, anytime it would help you to speak to someone.  

We’re sure you’ll hear from our community soon, but in the meantime here’s a few of articles we thought you might like. We’re hoping some of them can bring you a bit of hope or new ideas:    Kind regards,  Sophie M