FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Should I seek another diagnosis?

Val_da_man
Community Member

Short and simple: I fear I might have ADHD.

Maybe fear isn't the right word. I fear that me thinking I have ADHD is conceited.

To clarify, I was diagnosed with depression. Can't say what it is exactly, since I don't remember. It was a while ago, more than a year at this point, and I haven't seen a 'professional' for more than half a year.

While I'm sure asking for advice here isn't... great, well. I want to. Here's a lil rundown of my stupidity.
I am currently facing three wonderful assignments. Two are exams, one is a proper project (that I can't even begin to unpack, I don't understand it and no one seems to be willing to actually help)
So obviously, I come home and say that I'll work. Cue me looking at the clock, having done absolutely nothing, and its time to sleep.
I can't even think straight typing this. I want to stop already and play a game or something.

Same goes for things in class. I either stare at my screen blankly, or I stick my face into my phone trying to hide it. It's awful. I never get work done, and it becomes extra awful if someone I know is sitting with me because then they become my point to bounce from.

I can't tell if it's the depression on its own, a possible anxiety disorder (I say possible, but I know for a fact that the intensity and frequency ain't normal) or if I really may have ADHD.

As a side note, I only got diagnosed so recently because my family was sceptical of my struggles and I tried hiding it from them.

Tl;dr, I suspect that my inability to focus or work may stem from more than just depression. Is it worth seeking out another diagnosis, or should I just chalk it up to depression?

4 Replies 4

Guest_1643
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

hey - i think asking a second opinion is your right and a super super good idea

It doesn't hurt at all - I think everyone should do this - see at least 2 professionals if they're not sure about their diagnosis.
Personally I remember feeling kinda disloyal to my gp and guilty for seeing a second professional when my GPs advice felt a bit- wrong.
I'm so so glad I went for a second opinion and I try keep my mind open to what feels right and ask questions - you don't have to accept the diagnosis at all. Your intuition matters and u know yourself better than anyone. If you look up the "Recovery Model of Mental Health" one thing I love about it is that it recognises the person struggling with a mental health issue is an expert - trust your gut!

sorry - unclear.
I mean the person who is dealing with the MH concern is an expert on themselves.

We are familiar with ourselves and will know things the doctor won't

I'm not saying not to trust doctors, but just to trust yourself as well/first

jumpyjellyfish-
Community Member

Hey Val-da-man,

Just checking up on how you've been managing your struggles with staying focused. How did you go seeking with a further diagnosis?

All the best, keep us updated on how you're going or if you need any more extra support, whether it be caused by the effort keeping your attention causing you grief, or depression interacting with your life - we're here for you 🙂

therising
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi Val_da_man

I feel for you so much. So incredibly frustrating when we're left to wonder what's 'wrong' with us, as opposed to being inspired to find the natural reasons behind why things are feeling so wrong.

I'm 'Mum' to a 15yo daydreamer with plenty of energy and a longing to express his creativity in non boring ways. Things have become so incredibly frustrating for him to the point where we're now part of the way into our quest for ways to manage such an incredibly amazing and sometimes frustrating nature.

Dietician suggested somewhat of a protein deficiency, given that proteins are the building blocks for basic function (regarding mind and body) and his diet has been lacking. So, more protein has been introduced, along with a good brand fish oil with omega 3 DHA etc. The most recent thing we did on this leg of our journey was consult a GP who is an absolute legend, not dismissive like most people, who tend to put my son's struggles down to 'just being at that age'. He's truly done with hearing that line by the way. Such dismissive opinions were beginning to contribute to him heading toward pure hopelessness and depression. I've dealt with depression in the past and know the signs. Anyhow...

The GP recommended a psychologist, as a way of looking to what could be behind the lack of focus. Spoke on the phone to the psyche (to make an appointment) and she suggested appointing one of their neuropsychologists as being better match. GP also mentioned that while daydreamers are the natural entrepreneurs, inventors and theorists in life, while the daydreaming part of the brain is important to exercise, there's a problem with it being accessed too much. While it's being exercised, the part of the brain that is more about focus isn't being exercised. It becomes about an imbalance. He recommended the app from the 'Smiling mind' website, which addresses creating a balance.

Another factor we're working on is 'How to manage what's boring'. I know, sounds a bit weird, as why should you have to manage what's boring in life but sometimes there's no choice. One thing he found that makes a difference comes down to venting the excess energy that naturally comes about for him, so he can let go of it long enough to help his focus. He runs.

Basically, we're on a quest to help him master his natural abilities and find skills in channeling his focus. Again, it's tough when no one seems to get you but when someone does, it's life changing.

Go for that second opinion.

🙂