FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Self esteem and Acne

this_aint_it_chief
Community Member
I have quite low self esteem, that tends to fluctuate a lot. I'm in year 10, and everything is just so much pressure. I have a high forehead, my skin is oily in some patches and dry in others, but worst of all I have acne. It's at a mild/moderate level, but I have quite a few marks left on my skin from acne. My gaurdian said that I can go see a dermatologist in a month if it hasn't cleared up, but idk if I can wait that long. Even though people tell me my acne isn't bad, it's one of the worst in my year level at school, and as I've had it for 4 years now, it's made my self esteem terrible to a point where I've cried about it each day for nearly the past week. On top of that benzoyl peroxide doesn't work, my skin is waayy to sensitive for that. I just need to get this all out, and ask you guys how I can possibly cope for another month, potentially longer, without feeling ugly every time I look in the mirror. IDK if this is all irrational, but I hate looking in mirrors now because I can't deal with seeing my face and knowing how bad I look...
18 Replies 18

Thanks chief 🙂

this_aint_it_chief
Community Member

Hey guys, thought I'd give an update:

i went to the doctors, and they assessed my acne. I've been given birth control pills to take to help control it, so I will trial those for the next three weeks. I just wanna thank all you guys who posted for your support, and for your advice 🙂 it really means a lot to me!!

Hope it all works out for you. And thanks for letting us know:)

alma_63685
Community Member

Hiya Chief,

I can relate to your problem. And acne sucks. I'm probably no help to you rn but I can link to your problem so much and it makes me feel better. Anyways I hope that the acne gets better for you and just. wanted to let you know that ur not the only one.

info (ignore) - 15 year old female

It always makes people feel better knowing they're not alone, including me, so thanks for sharing. Yeah, acne really does SUCK. I hope it gets better for you too 🙂

Ava_Rose1
Community Member

I feel and look disgusting. I am a young teenager and a have really bad acne on my forehead, nose and chin. My acne makes me feel very ugly and really lowers my self esteem.

I really want to get better and not feel the way I do but but because of my anxiety I tend to fiddle a lot and pick, pop and touch my skin which makes the acne so much worse.

I would love if someone could give me any advise for other ways to fiddle, cure my acne and make me feel better about myself. Thanks...

Hi there,

So far, since making this post I have tried several things. The birth control pills did not work for me, however they may work for you. I am now on prescription acne medication, and I have seen some improvement over the last three months, however it is not yet completely gone, and the side effects include peeling skin and orange patches on my skin. If you want to cure your acne, the best thing to do would be see a dermatologist. Everyone has different skin, so hopefully they can help you specifically.

As for feeling better about yourself, thats something that I am currently struggling with. My main way of coping is spending time with my friends and laughing, because that distracts me from the sadness of dealing with my acne. Just try and keep your head up and know your own worth. I should probably listen to my advice too. I hope you feel better 🙂

I hope you're feeling better Ava! Having to stop myself from fiddling and picking at my skin is a massive problem that I struggle with every day. Recently I've made the possibly overdramatic decision to cut my nails right down so I physically can't pop any pimples with them. My nails are ugly but hey at least my skin is looking a bit better. This might not help you but hey worth a shot 🙂

SadmontCry
Community Member
I'm sorry you're struggling with acne and low self-esteem. It's definitely not irrational to feel this way. I think it's great that your guardian is supporting you by taking you to a dermatologist. Have you tried any natural remedies for acne? Tea tree oil and honey are great for acne-prone skin.Also, remember that you're more than just your appearance. You have so many qualities and talents that make you unique and special. It's important to focus on those positive aspects of yourself and not let acne define you.