FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

School said i'm getting 0 if i don't complete HSC trials

entartung
Community Member

Hi everyone,

I'm a year 12 student from NSW whose in the middle of her HSC trials. I'm not sure how much background information i should add (this is my first post) but here's a brief rundown:

- Struggling with depression + anxiety since year 8. Also diagnosed with ADHD

- My school has been aware of it since year 9/10 as i regularly see the school counsellor

- Currently seeing a psychiatrist and am on medication for ADHD. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to be helping, however she wants me to try it for a little longer. Not on anything else right now as she said it would be difficult to gauge the effectiveness of the medication if i don't take it in isolation

- Have started seeing a new psychologist. Only one session so far so i can't really comment on effectiveness. My last psychologist was with CMHS but she just wasn't a right fit, both agreed i wasn't making any progress. Unfortunately this is a tricky period to star afresh with a new psychologist who doesn't know me well.

- Was on additional medication last year. It didn't seem to help

- Took an overdose last year near Christmas time (hence CMHS)

- Currently not suicidal, not self (although i struggle with dermatillomania)

Okay, so here's my issue. I have missed 5 of my trial HSC exams, these exams are worth 30%-40% of my school mark. My school is aware of my mental health history and has helped me reschedule and space out exams to lessen the stress. However i'm finding in really overwhelming and difficult to cope and consequently missed my rescheduled dates. 2 days ago they brought in my parents and told me that i would have to either do HSC over 2 years of i would have to complete all 5 exams as well as my major work by the end of next week.

I decided against pathways (2 years) for several reasons, including the fact that the HSC syllabus is changing next year, i want to just get HSC over with rather than stretching it out, not keen on going to TAFE and finishing my HSC there and the fact that up until now, my grades have been quite good.

I'm almost certain i won't change my mind regarding pathways, but it leaves me in a difficult position, with 5 consecutive exams and my history ex major work due all my next friday. This is an absolutely insane amount of work. My school says i must have it all complete by the end of next week or else i will be getting 0. I don't know what to do, it doesn't seem negotiable as my school was quite firm even knowing my situation. It honestly seems incredibly unfair to me.

10 Replies 10

smallwolf
Community Champion
Community Champion

hi and welcome the the forums lalaluna.

I will just add a little extra to reply from Sophie_M and hope some might resonate with you.

When I was in high school I do not recall anything like pathways existing. I only just got through high school. I also did remedial reading. I did not get into Uni. I watched those who might have been my friends go away to Uni.

Today, to some degree, what happened then does not matter. I can tell you what I did after that if you want. What I will say is that I took an different path to many. It does not make me lesser a person. It would be really frustrating and upsetting to be in your position. And it may seem you will not reach your dreams, whatever they are. Like me, an alternate path will get you there.

And I also failed a subject when I did go to Uni.