FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

moving out as a teen

emmy
Community Member

hi, i want to move interstate alone when i turn 18, and im currently 16 going on 17. any tips (how much to save, best way to move interstate, etc.)

4 Replies 4

white knight
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi, welcome

In this era when young adults stay in their parents home many years later than 18yo its commendable that you are considering this move, assuming you are taking into account any grief family members might have with the move. If there is any concern from parents etc then its more a matter of putting them at ease with issuing details of any plans you have for reassurance. 

I left home at 17yo way back in 1973. In fact Iit was 4 days after my 17th birthday when I joined the Air Force. Terrifying actually, flying to Adelaide for recruit training but it made me the man I am today and after my service I was confident enough to travel around the country and pick up work. Many of my school friends couldnt do that with confidence.

How much to save depends on your plans but if you are prepared to do some important steps in your plans you can do ok-

• like a uni student you might need 2 minute noodles every 2nd day
  • like travelling workers you could consider work in seasonal areas like fruit picking. One season north, one season south
  • Apply for any job then if not happy seek better
  • Consider seeking you car or motorcycle license prior to moving, obtainable at 17yo I think. Even a postie bike 90cc Honda can take you interstate if you are not in a rush. One guy I knew had a larger bike and towed a small trailer- all belongings fitted in it. Motorcyclists care for each other and you meet up with many along your way.

If you want to talk further and expand your post to include plans by all means feel free.

TonyWK

hi, thanks so much for the reply!! 🙂

with your situation, when you moved out at a young age, what would you say were the scariest/hardest things to overcome? i am quite worried about not being able to find a good job given not much experience and my age.

white knight
Community Champion
Community Champion

My fears as a young airman would be different than yours. I had guaranteed adult income, accommodation, dental and medical, colleagues and meals. Any thoughts on joining the defence- run with it for those reasons.

Money makes the world go round as they say, you can feel quite secure with money.

In my following thread "want to be a hermit" it reflects my 5 times attempt to reject society when in my 20's (undiagnosed etc them days) and I'd ride my motorcycle to the hills and remain there and have to return as I realised I needed money to buy toothpaste, my beloved baked beans and fuel. So eventually I came across the concept of living in a regional area, close enough for contact with family far enough away to be away from the city (2+ hours). So even if you've saved money say a few thousand dollars, it will dwindle quickly so your priority will be to find work and that can be challenging.

The best advice in terms of money could be simply door knocking in small towns offering to do odd jobs. Elderly home owners often leave jobs like washing their solar panels, cleaning gutter, washing their car. The gift of the gab works- "Wondering if you need any odd jobs done like washing you car"? having noted its dirty back window! Then after that they might ask you for a cuppa when you are asked many questions like where you live etc and they might have a friend that needs a boarder or needs a worker and so on. Sometimes being bold works... make up folding signs that hang from your neck with "Work wanted" and country people will stop and chat "yeh, Clarke's down that road need a milker"...

The other fear is security. You can get hand sirens- tick. Read number plates in particular if they drive past a few times. +notepad. 

Your planning might mean you have to delay departure to save more but if that meant you had wheels it would be a game changer to mobility and not relying on entering strangers vehicles, you can come and go if your gut has a moment of danger feeling

TonyWK

TonyWK

tranzcrybe
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Stepping out or running away?
Understanding your motivation might be the first step, as even good intentions can have dire outcomes (life has a habit of following us around regardless).
Having a friend or relative living near your destination is worth considering, as is some assurance of gainful employment since savings will not sustain you very long.