FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Joining the ADF with previous Anxiety and depression

Aviator205
Community Member

Hi,

I'm 16 years old and i'm considering joining the RAAF when I turn 18 (year 12) and applying to be a CISCON (which is a non-combat role) however 4 years ago I attempted suicide (only ever once) and later was diagnosed with anxiety (due to an abusive father) and am now taking medication. my anxiety has been minimal for the past 2 years but sometimes arises (not frequently though - rarely) I have seen medical professionals such as psychologists to help manage my anxiety and stress and I am still currently getting support from professionals and hope to manage my anxiety without medication within the next twelve months leaving another twelve months free from medication before applying for defence. I was wondering if anyone has some advice or insight about my chances, what I should do and any other information.

Thanks.

10 Replies 10

GSPeagle
Community Member

Hello Croix.  Not sure if you are able to help, but I have a similar question regarding  my daughter.  She is applying for the airforce as a pilot and has done her YOU session and assessment day, being recommended for the roles she wants to take.  As part of the medical they asked if she had ever had a mental health plan.  She did go to the GP after an incident where she had to perform CPR on a friend that had lost consciousness and stopped breathing.  Long story short, she hit the nearby wall out of frustration as the ambulance was taking so long and the security guard gave her tweezers...  Anyway, she was having a bit of time processing the event so thought she'd go to the GP (nearly 2 years ago).  She has just found out that the GP had put "thoughts of self-harm" on her care plan, which we can only atest to her punching the wall.  She didn't have any medication or counselling treatment and has since been recorded that she is mentally fine when attending for another medical issue.  Do you think this will waiver any class 4 on her application?