FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Is this normal?

a13xx
Community Member

Hi, I’m 17 and currently working full time at a restaurant..i dropped out of school and all i really do is sleep all day. 

Any free time I get I just sleep through it..I hate living like this but im constantly tired and I can’t help it. It doesn’t matter how much sleep I get, im always tired.

I have hobbies and things I could do like art, read or practice bass but I’m too tired for that too. 

I want to get up and do things, my dad thinks it’s just cause im a teenager but idk i wanna have more energy 😭

6 Replies 6

mmMekitty
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hello a13xx

'Normal' or not, your tiredness worries, upsets & concerns you & is interferring with your usual activities & effects how much of the things you liketo, too, quite enough for me to suggest for you to see a GP about it. I'm quite sure at 17 you can find & see your own GP. Ideally, it would be good if your parent/s could suport you, but if not, do you have a friend who could go with you, for support, maybe to make notes of what the GP says, because you might not remember everything. It might help to write something about what you are experiencing, maybe a list of what you think are symptoms you would like the GP to consider. Oh, & when you make your appointment, ask for a long appointment, so you can discuss the trouble you are having & the GP can have time for questions they will have.

Please feel welcome to return here anytime, & talk about whatever you want.

Hugzies

mmMekitty

Hi op.

l agree with your dad and l mean full time in a restaurant can be bloody hard work. Your probably just still adjusting to all that, l wouldn't worry at all atm right now.

As time goes on and you get more and more use to working like that you'll prob start needing less sleep and living more. Hang in there.

rxx

Richju
Community Member

Dear a13xx,

I'm so sorry to hear of your fatigue and, although I agree that restaurant work is hard, i feel that checking with your GP is also good advice.

I hope you will continue to post as we are here to support you in any way we can. 

Take care and please let us know how you go.

Warmest regards,

Ruchju xxx

yours_truly
Community Member

Hey a13xx,

The fatigue and exhaustion you feel is likely to be partly accumulated from your job at the restaurant, and partly from your mental health. It is not normal to be living with these symptoms if you are a mentally healthy person. However, these symptoms do align with signs of mental health struggles. Which is totally okay to have!! 

I agree that sometimes sharing this with health professionals can be scary and may even lead to negative experiences, but if you don’t reach out for help it may get worse. In that case the consequences would be worse than the embarrassment felt in the moment. It just comes down to weighing out the risks and getting an overall picture of the situation. 

I hope you make the decisions that serve yourself the answers you need,

Yours_truly

TBear5879
Community Member
Hi, I feel the same way please if anyone has any ideas to help I would love that.

yours_truly
Community Member

Hi a13xx,

As mmMekitty mentioned, when tiredness interferes with your everyday life, that’s when you know it’s getting way too much. It should be the first sign of many that things are now beyond your means of coping . Reaching out would be the best way to go. Which you have done, a sign of courage and a desire to function in a way you once did. Congratulations by the way, it isn’t easy to admit that things are getting hard. It is also perfectly understandable that working a full time job at 17 is tiring, draining and probably quite repetitive. Hobbies are great, but maybe also try to surround yourself with people who share the same hobbies. Make a community for yourself and immerse yourself in that positive energy. You might also want to create a social media channel playing the bass! Maybe try selling a bunch of your artworks, or join an art club. 

I hope this helps show you some light,

yours_truly