FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

I have very pale skin that is destroying my self esteem

Randomkid_
Community Member
I get called "albino" and "ghost" at school by random people and even my friends. I just want to look like everyone else but I feel like I'm just known as the white kid. I probably get a comment every single day and they're all nasty. I don't know what to do and I feel like I'm trapped in my own body for the rest of my life.
3 Replies 3

Jackson85
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi Randomkid_,

Thanks for posting on here, I'm glad you did, that's not very nice that people give you a hard time about how you look, and it's hard at school when you have to go there each day to face it. I definitely know that feeling of just not wanting to face all the names and attention I'd get.

I hope this doesn't sound like the same old advice, but I just can't stress enough how much better it gets as you get older. Those around you become more sensitive and aware of their actions, and you start to be able to choose your own groups, so you don't have to interact with anyone you don't want to! So please don't feel that this is for life, because things just get easier and easier as you get to know who you are and get to escape having to see the same kids everyday.

Secondly, I personally think pale skin is lovely. I often see people down the street with very pale skin and get a little bit jealous! I know it's not great for being in the sun too long, but I think it makes people stand out, in a good way!

Sometimes other kids just decide they want to call someone a name, and they find a name that they think will upset that person. I got all kinds of names, which upset me and made me feel like whatever they picked about me was bad. But now, I realise that they were just kids trying to pick on someone, and I was the one they happened to choose, and whatever they picked about me to tease was whatever they could grab onto. There was nothing wrong with me (and there still isn't), and there is nothing wrong with you or your pale skin, they are just teasing someone about something, and you happen to be in the firing line.

Don't let the fear and insecurity of others, who need to pick on someone else, affect how you see yourself. If you try to respect your friends, and the other kids at school, then that's something to be proud of, and you should have no reason to be ashamed of anything!

Hang in there,

Jackson85

Ash19
Community Member

Hi Randomkid_

People can be real jerks in highschool. It sucks.

Firstly I would speak to your friends about how their comments make you feel. If they're truly your friends they'll understand and stop.

I understand how you feel. I am very pale myself, I do not receive the same comments that you do but sometimes my boyfriend or family will make jokes about my legs etc saying that they're blinding etc.

They're just joking around but sometimes it does make me feel bad about myself, other times I just laugh with them. My best advice is to try to accept yourself for who you are despite the comments. It's a process though, I'm still trying but I feel like I am getting closer each day.

I have the same thoughts sometimes myself but you really don't want to look like everybody else, everyone is different and that's what makes us special. And although you may think you want to be like everyone else, each person has their own "imperfections" that they dislike about themselves. They just learn to accept them as they get older and not care so much about what others think.

I do hope that it gets better for you

dee_d
Community Member

people are awful, and it's never okay to bully someone due to what they look like,

you are not trapped - you're beautiful for who you are, embrace it - and never feel like you are anything but your own perfect.

and please know - you do NOT deserve this, and that it can only get better,

pheonix's rise from the ashes, and that may be a metaphor you could think about.

just be yourself, and love you for you - you'll shine.