FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Freaking out about maths

Guest_03848443
Community Member

I’m currently in year 11 and I’m doing maths methods. My first test wasn’t great, but my second was 88% which is really really great in my class. My next test however was 17%

I think the reason I scored so low is because there’s nothing I hate more in the world than maths methods. Every moment in that classroom feels like hell. I literally dread sitting down to do my maths homework. I think to myself, maybe maths just isn’t for me? But then I also wonder that maybe the reason I’m doing so badly is because I’m not putting the effort in. It’s true, I could be studying a lot more, but I cannot bring myself to do it.

I am resitting the test I got 17% on this week and I have a SAC on the same topic too. I’ve fallen so behind I wonder if it’s even worth studying because there’s no way I’m going to pass either of them. I’m feeling so anxious and I don’t know what to do or how to study for it. I don’t know if my teacher would be very pleased with me if I come up to her and tell her there’s no point in my resitting the test I failed because I’m not going to do any better.

1 Reply 1

white knight
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi, welcome

In a way you are describing a key part of life in your post that needs to be overcome. With a low mark of 17% in my view your biggest challenge isnt your techer nor your parents, its with you. Your challenge is to aim for a significant mark higher than 17% - say 30% which is a realistic improvement. If you then get 40% then you have more than succeeded but that isnt the end, the next challenge is 50%+

In life with many topics the easy way is to give up. This is the normal difference from a teenager to an adult- to face the challenges of your life in a real way, an achievable way and to improve but not expect yourself to be a academic in everything you do.

Motivation is lacking in many people, but then there is unrealistic motivation. I recall being a salesman for insurance and the goals they place don me were unattainable for me. I had improved my sales but nowhere near the level where they were content so I left that field and excelled in investigations for example. So yes it is also realistic to drop a subject when the opportunity comes along but until then if that isnt a current option then face these challenges with the view that you will improve...

I hope that helps

TonyWK