FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Feeling Stressed

Cassie07
Community Member

I have been feeling recently really anxious with no reason.
I can't really relax, or go to sleep without music and meditation. If I don't go without music, meditation or drawing for more than a few hours then i start to have panic attacks where I feel really stressed and something bad is about to happen. It feels like something is heavy on my chest and I can't breathe properly. Also some intense types of music trigger these attacks too.
I am coping okay with everything in quarantine so I don't know what I am stressed about. The stress is making me break out too. I am just getting really tired of being on edge all the time and I don't know what to do. Does anyone have similar problems like this?

-Cassie

2 Replies 2

P0L0
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Cassie07,

I'm sorry to hear about your anxious feelings. Sometimes, whenever I feel really stressed out all of a sudden, I try to trace back my thoughts of what is causing it. It can be pretty difficult at times, but in understanding where your stress comes from, it can do wonders to help you. For example, if I suddenly feel stressed, I rack by brain for what I was just thinking about and I hold onto each thought just long enough to see if I suddenly get anxious or not. This way, you could try to find what is causing the stress in your life.

Also, you could try to get in touch with your local GP, who might be able to give you some guidance on how to go about dealing with this stress and anxiety.

If you need anyone to talk to while you are feeling anxious, remember there is the Beyond Blue Support Service on 1300 22 4636 or on Webchat 3pm-12am AEST at www.beyondblue.org.au/getsupport .

I hope you can figure this out!

P0L0

White_Rose
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello Cassie

Welcome to the forum. I am sorry no one saw your previous post and I'm very glad you came back.

Sadly there are many people who have panic attacks, me included. It's quite a scary thing to experience. Because of the chest discomfort many people think they are having a heart attack which tends to make the feeling worse. Then they call an ambulance go off to hospital, get checked out and sent home. I know this has happened to me a couple of times and I have felt quite silly afterwards. It shows how bad it can be.

You are doing the right thing with meditation and music, both soothing activities. Having nothing obvious to be stressed about does not stop us having panic attacks. Being in quarantine may feel you are coping OK but I suspect it's not that comfortable. Not being able to get out to do the activities you enjoy probably is a stressor for you even though it may not be obvious.

I have not had a panic attack for years but started having them again about a month ago. I was so surprised I did not recognise it at first. Then I was cranky with myself for feeling that way and like you I could not see what could be causing it. For me it was a combination of events. COVID isolation, being triggered to remember a very unpleasant event from five years ago that I thought I finally consigned to the rubbish bin, not seeing my family because of isolation. Perhaps there are a few things like this in your life.

Like many other mental health difficulties there is not always an obvious reason. Or the reason is not recognising what is happening in my life. These things have a habit of popping up to upset us. I have found I need to be totally absorbed by something to make the attack go away. Fortunately for me I have a couple of hobbies where I can escape.

I have also talked about it with my GP who suggested she increase my antidepressant meds. I am not a fan of meds but I realised I did need some help so I agreed and the dose was increased. It did help a great deal. While I still had a panic attack it has been infrequent and more easy to manage.

I was so involved with the panic that I could not decide what to do. I made a list of activities that would take me away from the panic and kept this list on my fridge for quick access. It made a big difference.

I do suggest you see your GP as well as find activities to do. Taking meds for a short time may help or your GP may have some other suggestions for you. I hope that helps. Please continue to post here.

Mary