FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Eating problems as a result of depression

Tracy_24
Community Member

Hi 🙂 

Lately in my life things have been going downhill, and for some reason it's affecting my eating patterns.  Eating is sometimes a struggle, and I am wondering if there is anything I can do to make it better?  

2 Replies 2

Chris_B
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Tracy_24,

Welcome to the forums.  That's not good to hear that life is tough at the moment.  Would you like to tell us some more about what's going on for you?  When we experience feelings of depression or anxiety, it can affect us in a number of different ways - emotionally, mentally, physically, including our appetites.

Have a look at this page of our youth website, which has information about depression and anxiety.  You may recognise some of the symptoms, as well as finding information about what you can do. 

You can chat to one of our counsellors via web chat using the link at the top right of the screen between 4 and 10pm each day, or feel free to talk further with us here so we can support you with what's going on in your life at the moment.

ThousandMiles
Community Member

You are definitely not alone with this, it's unfortunately a normal symptom of depression 😕 But that doesn't mean you have to live with it. 
Try and plan meals or have food around the house that you really like. Even if you don't feel like eating, when you push yourself to do so, it'll be something you enjoy. And also, try eating several small meals instead of 3 larger ones.
I'm no expert, though, so maybe talk to your doctor or counselor or somebody about it? x

To be honest, I have the opposite problem. My depression makes me hungry all the time, wish I could stop eating >_< Anybody have this problem? 😧

Anyway, try not to worry about it, and make sure you talk to someone who can give you expert advice. Like the online counsellors, maybe (: