FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Taking the plunge

Snowywolf
Community Member
I’ve never posted on here. I’ve found myself wanting to and then holding back. I guess I need to do something now.
I’m in my early 40s and am a registered nurse. I’ve dealt with depression since I was 15. Most days I take my medication and cope just fine. I’m finding it harder to cope at the moment. I’m not struggling with nursing through a pandemic, I’m struggling with loneliness. It’s weird to be lonely when you work full time. But I am. My two closest friends are moving interstate and I’m starting to realise that I have very few friends that I can relate to or lean on for help. My elderly father is my only family member and he’s concerned that I’m suffering from loneliness.
I guess he’s right. I’m in tears as I write this. I should be well-adjusted since I work well in a stressful job, but I’m crumbling.
4 Replies 4

sbella02
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi Snowywolf,

Thank you very much for your post, and a warm welcome to our forums.

Loneliness is such an isolating feeling, I understand. Especially throughout the pandemic, I know a lot of people have been struggling with feeling lonely.

It sounds to me like your relationships with your close friends mean a lot to you. If you can, I would try to keep up these friendships through video-chatting platforms such as Skype or Facebook Messenger, and also regular text messaging.

Do you have any old friends who you haven't seen in a while? You could always reach out to an old school friend who you've been meaning to catch up with for years, or people you met during your nursing studies. You may even find that one of your old friendships soon turns into one of your closest.

Are there any colleagues you could chat to? You don't necessarily have to confide in them about your struggles with loneliness, but even a bit of small talk can make you feel more comforted. Small talk can also eventually lead to more meaningful relationships.

You can always have a chat with a therapist, psychologist, or your GP about your feelings as well. They would have a deeper understanding of your context, and may be able to pinpoint how best to support you.

Please continue to have a chat with us here, too! We're here to support and uplift you.

All the best, SB

jaz28
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi there,

I am sorry you are feeling this way. Loneliness is isolating and difficult as humans are naturally social animals, so it is hard for us to be alone - we crave company.

As sbella02 suggested, keeping in contact online is a useful tool in talking to friends that live far away, and also for meeting new ones!

Do you get along with the nurses you work with? Could you go out with them one time?

What are your interests? Could you join a group or class in that to meet people?

Depression makes it hard, have you considered seeing your doctor about it?

You are not alone, and I am always up for a chat.

Jaz xx

HappyHelper88
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello there Thank you for your post and welcome

Im glad you have reached out, we are here to support you
Personally ive found medication like a bandaid it dosnt fix your problems
im sorry to hear your lonely
one good friend is enough to protect someone from loneliness and just remember we can always keep in touch in other ways my best is also interstate

Please remember to call the beyond blue service if you need

Guest_1643
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

I'm sorry Ur finding it harder to cope now, and hope Ur OK. I'm finding the discussions about isolation, trauma and separation thatve cropped up in the public sphere due to the pandemic, have made me feel more alone. It's a global thing now.

i guess ppl might think working full time gives a protective balm against loneliess , but I think that it can make us more aware of it, too.