FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Pre-30 crisis

K_YM3
Community Member

Hello, I am here because I feel very alone in my journey of life. No one seems to understand, no one has similar circumstances. I just want to know if this is all normal. I struggled with addictions in my teens/early 20s. I've been clean 5 years now. I started off studying something to get a different career. Found it didn't work with being a single parent. Ended up back in the same dead end career. Met an amazing partner. He works away during the week which is fine. I've re-started study in yet another different field so I can get a job in something more suitable to the family. Can't help but feel very alone lately though as I'm working in a job that doesn't have much human interaction. I'm forever running the household or children's activities outside of work. I crave attention from my partner but it's impossible when he works away and we only see each other for one day maybe night of the week as my roster usually collides with when he is home. Don't know what I'm doing here. Just want to know that this is normal I guess. Wanting different, not knowing how to achieve it etc. Over being where I am hating jobs, feeling lonely, but conflicted money wise to even leave the house aside from work. I dunno anymore

1 Reply 1

smallwolf
Community Champion
Community Champion

hello and welcome.

I can understand why you might feel alone in your journey given the unique challenges you've faced. Feeling lonely, uncertain about your path, and craving connection given your circumstances would most certainly be normal. It sounds like you probably would not have much time to the relax (given all that you are do)?

what work do you do?

I had to get out of IT a few years ago because of the effect that it was having on me. Before then I was studying as well as working. Admittedly the kids were older. But the more that is on your plate the harder things feel. At the same time, I did not know how to celebrate the small things or wins! I just moved from one thing to then next.

I would also say that you've shown incredible resilience and determination to keep striving for a better life for yourself and your family in studying. While the path hasn't been straightforward, it's admirable that you've re-started studying to find a more suitable career.

Please hang in there - the fact that you're self-aware enough to articulate these feelings is a positive sign. With patience and self-compassion, you can get through this transitional phase. The goal (qualifications) and hopefully a new job will be worth it.

Listing if you want to chat more.