FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

New to site

Shaz19
Community Member

Hi,

i don't know where to start, so here goes. I am in a relationship with a very caring and loving man that is going through a very tough time. His moods are all over the place. He can be relaxed and happy, enjoying life & then suddenly he wants me out of his life because of a problem that he sees, that might eventuate. I am exhausted, but want to help him, but don't know where to begin. Any suggestions

4 Replies 4

Cold_Mirror
Community Member

Hello Shaz. Welcome!

I'm sorry your relationship is being affected by your partner's moods. Is he getting other support apart from the love and patience that you give him? My partner was rather the same when we started out 18 years ago. It took a lot of acceptance on my part that he had been hurt before and his default position was fear of being hurt again. It took him a while to understand that the worst was not going to happen in our relationship. I don't know if there is any easy way through this. If he gets some help, that takes some pressure off you at least. Does he feel optimistic about the relationship when he is in a more relaxed and happy mood?

You are very wise to seek some support (here) for yourself. I think that one of the important things is that you look after your own wellbeing so that you can remain strong.

Would he consider some counselling as a couple so that the two of you can discuss his fears? It can be useful to do this in a neutral space. While some of this depends upon the likelihood and seriousness of what he fears will happen, the fears themselves may be an even greater impact on your relationship. It's important that you reached out. Having rambled a bit, I would suggest that some of what happens will depend upon him and what he is willing to do. The thing that I realised with my partner was that it was important for me to have clear boundaries about what was my responsibility. I think that helped me to work through those early years.

james1
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hey Shaz,

Welcome to the forums and thank you for having the courage and kindness to try and support your partner. It sounds like you really love each other and it is wonderful that you have shown so much acceptance of him.

I'll keep this short as Cold_Mirror has made some really great points about seeking some outside help for him as well as looking after yourself. I just wanted to reply here to let you know you have our support in this difficult period.

Don't forget there are some links below under "Supporting someone" which I highly recommend you look at if you haven't already. As the airlines always say: please secure your own oxygen mask before you attend to others.

I'd love to hear back from you. You're a very kind person for wanting to help someone with mental health issues and we're very lucky to have you on board.

James

Shaz19
Community Member
Thank you for you support & words of encouragement. I have felt so isolated and alone, continually thinking I am doing something to set of my partners moods. When he is happy, we are always talking about our future together, so when he goes into the low mood, it is so out of character. He has never admitted to me he has any issues, but when I suggest councilling he doesn't want to do that. I would like him to get all the support he can, but I don't want him to think that he is failing me. I'm caught in a no win situation at the moment, well that is how it feels to me, but I'm not ready to lose him, as I believe this is just a hiccup in our lives together.

I understand about his not wanting to have counselling. My partner went alone and I don't know what he discussed. (Well, I think I know some of it.) If your guy won't go there, then it's not your failing.

Please use this place when you need to talk. Think of it as a safe haven. You really need to look after yourself and, as I said, you'll need some healthy boundaries.