FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

I Need People

EveC
Community Member

Hi Everybody,

I joined the forum last night. I've been getting severe anxiety/panic for decades.

Seven years ago my brother passed away. He was my only sibling. My parents are still alive, but elderly and divorced.

I'm in my late 40s, live alone and the social isolation is just terrible. I've had to admit to myself recently that I need people. So I am just looking for some people to talk to.

I am crying as I write this. Admitting I need people has been hard for me.

Eve x

8 Replies 8

Sophie_M
Dear Eve C,

We’re so grateful to have you reach out to our community this morning and are so sorry to hear everything you have going on at the moment. Times like this can definitely get overwhelming . We hope that you find our forums to be a safe and supportive space to talk through your thoughts and feelings. Our community is here for you. 

We hope you know that there is always help available to you, whether it's from our professional mental health counsellors Beyond Blue (available 24/7/365 on 1300 22 4636) or our friends at Lifeline (13 11 14) or the Suicide Call Back Service (1300 659 467).
Keep checking back in with us whenever you feel up to it. 

EveC
Community Member
Thanks Sophie 🙂

Matchy69
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member
Hi Eve and welcome to the forums.I can understand your Lonelyness is big issue and seems more to the forefront with all the isolations and restrictions we have had to endure.This is a great place to share your experiences and how you are feeling with many compassionate caring people on here.
Take care,
Mark.

MissBenthos
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Eve -waves-

How is today going?

Guest_4643
Community Member

welcome EveC.

i'm so sorry for your loss, and your parents divorce, and your struggles of anxiety, etc. you're not alone. thinking of you. i'm here if you need someone. yes the loneliness and isolation is hard, that's something i can 100% relate to and i always have. i wish i had people too. hugs, if you like them.

Babydoll77
Community Member
What a brave soul you are! I love that you shared about your crying as you typed the message, that's so raw and real. You did so well to come on here and make that move. I just signed up to this thing an hour ago, so I'm still figuring this whole system out myself, but I'm up for a chat either way.

Losing a family member is so brutal, like your heart is getting ripped out of your chest, it is a very personal pain an experience. I have lost a lot of people, all in my younger childhood and teenage years, nothing prepares you for it. My experience is not your experience, though, and I'm here if you want to share about it more. If you want to share about your brother that passed, I'd love to hear about him and anything you want to talk about, grief is so important, support in the grieving process is vital.

And it sounds like the situation with your parents may weigh on you and causes more hurt. So much grief and hurt, no one can truly understand how you're feeling personally, amidst it all, you said you have been experiencing severe anxiety/panic attacks for decades now, even before the great loss of your brother, so it seems like you've had some tough times prior to something so traumatic.

Once again, I'm so glad you reached out and shared your hurt. I'm so inspired by your courage.

EveC
Community Member

Hey 🙂

Thank you all for your kind replies! I'm glad I came and checked.

Anxiety is a beast. Physical pain you just accept (if you can tolerate it) but with anxiety your mind is constantly searching for a way out. It's this horrible feedback loop. Mine isn't quite at panic level right now but it's up there.

I live next to a freeway, including on/off ramps, with no sound barrier. It's so loud during the day that the quiet at night is really noticeable. I much prefer the quiet but the difference makes it creepy sometimes. I'm trying to move but that's easier said than done these days..

Bye for now,

-Eve x

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi Eve, a warm welcome to the site and it does great strength to feel as though you are able to open up to people you don't know, although that's what people feel more comfortable in doing, thanks for posting your comment.

Unfortunately, anxiety doesn't stop, although it can vary from situation to situation and definitely with it being noisy during the day can aggravate your condition and certainly being quiet at night will also complicate how you are feeling and make it difficult to adjust.

I am also very sorry for the loss of your only brother and with your parents being divorced makes your situation difficult to try and understand as to who you can confide in if that's what is happening, although we're very pleased to have you join us.

When anyone posts a comment or starts a new thread and crying in the meantime, really upsets all of us because all they want is someone to love them or at least give them a cuddle, saying that we're here for you and want to help you as best as we can.

Can I ask if you have a doctor you feel comfortable talking with, but please we want you to keep in touch with us and if you want to come back and tell us some more.

Best wishes.

Geoff.