FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

I'm not sure if I have depression, and I can't get it diagnosed either.

DoIThough_
Community Member
Halfway through lockdown began, I've started to notice signs of depression. I've always kind of ridiculed people who reach out, as I originally thought they were only looking for attention, but I guess I'm also doing this now. Everything has become a massive effort to do, I feel like I have 1% of the energy I used to have, I am always in "depression", I don't feel worth very much, I find myself comparing myself with everyone better than me. I took the Beyond Blue test, and it says there could be a high chance I could have depression. I cannot get diagnosed as my parents don't believe that I have any sort of depression, and they just credit it to me being lazy. Is there any way to talk to a GP without needing my parents permission? I think I am old enough to realise that I could have depression, but I cannot get diagnosed as I am not the age yet. What can I do?
5 Replies 5

Sophia16
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hey,

Welcome to the forums 🙂 I'm glad that you took your time to reach out. I can see that you're probably feeling exhausted. I understand.

If you don't mind me asking, how old are you? If you are under 18, I am assuming that you go to school. If so, there are school counsellors (do not need parents permission) that you can go to and they will be able to diagnose you and give you strategies to help you cope.

If you are over 18, then you just ask your local GP for a referral to see a psychologist, you will just need your own medical card. No need for parents permission.

Stay safe and I am here to chat if you need me.

Mark Z.
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi DoITough,

Depression is totally different from being lazy, it isn't a weakness and you can't simply "snap out" of it. It's a mental issue which is completely not your fault and sometimes need long term treatment, always as early as possible.

I would suggest, when you have a chat with your parents, show them the survey result of Beyondblue, and let them understand that the sooner the professional diagnose and treatment, the more hopeful a complete recovery. Maybe you can also share this article to them to help them improve the awareness: https://theconversation.com/teenage-depression-if-a-parent-doesnt-get-treatment-for-a-child-is-that-abuse-95353

If you still cannot persuade them, try to give BeyondBlue hotline a call, they will have something to refer for sure.

Warmly,

Mark

Petal22
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi DoIThough?,

Wellcome to our forums!

Im sorry that you are feeling this way and that your parents don’t believe you could have depression.

You could try to write a letter to your parents and in the letter really tell them how you feel, ask them to make you an appointment with your gp so you can discuss how you are feeling.

Let your parents know that you took the Beyond Blue test and your result.

Please let us know how you go… we are here to support you

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello DoIThough, and welcome to the site, the test you are talking about is it the K10 test, this will give you a score of where you stand in relation to depression.

If you are 16 and over you can go to the doctor by yourself, then you can talk to them about how you are feeling.

Parents can be doubtful whether or not their children have depression, simply because they don't want to believe their kid needs any help, and also wonder why this has happened, but it may not have anything to do with them, depression is such an insidious illness that can happen for so many different reasons, and I'm not a doctor to say, just know from experience.

Best wishes.

Geoff.

Guest_1643
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi all,

Welcome to the forums doithough

Thanks Geoff for Ur helpful info, I didn't know if u could go alone over 16, I think I did so at that age.

I felt I should join in because I wanted to open up the conversation a bit around diagnosing depression.

Ur old enough and know urself best, and it sounds like u feel concerned that u need help

Being told that Ur lazy isn't fair or true regarding how ppl experience being unwell or distressed in their life , pol who are very hard working can and do struggle with the symptoms Ur sharing, if they are down or depressed .

In terms of getting help and reaching out for attention, I ask gently if we can relook at that concept.

Even if someone was saying they were depressed for attention, would that not be a sign they needed help? Some ppl don't know how to ask for help , so it co,es out in a dramatic way, not because they are faking it, but because they struggle to express their pain.

For some ppl, it hasn't been safe to ask for help. They may be mocked or talked down to , or stigmatised, for reaching out. I think asking for help is brave and a sign of strength and self care. I think there are ppl who will listen and care, and its good to try and speak to those who will support u. If it's not Ur family, it can be someone else. Do u have a friend or other relative who may have struggled with mh, or who you trust ? Unforutantkey for many of us, our parents aren't supportive, and may even discourage us from getting well. In that case I'd say, reach out, Sure, but reach out with discretion, to those who are sympathetic about mh.