FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Hi

Raider
Community Member

First time here after looking up this website several times. I have long been suffering from depression. Ranging from low mood to severe where every step i took, felt like was pushing a very heavy door. I now know that a major reason for this is chronic pain from the compressed discs in my neck and lower back. These diagnoses only started coming since 1.5 years ago. Although i am much better off now, then before, it is hard to enjoy things. I also have had panic attacks, but these are less now, since my last phsycologist helped me to control them.

I'm married with 3 children and for years been grumpy dad. But since the diagnoses of late, they are more supportive and understanding of my low days or stress.

Since 6 months i have been on medication to help me sleep at night and to improve general mood. Even though the dose was recently increased, the mood hasn't really improved. It does improve when i take an strong painkiller, but I don't want to take those every day.

3 Replies 3

romantic_thi3f
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Raider,

Welcome to the forums and thanks for being here - and finally joining us!

I'm sorry to hear that you're in so much pain but at the same time glad that you seem to have such a supportive family. I can only imagine how much that helps on your bad days.

I am guessing from your post that your mood is low because of the pain that you're in?

One of the things that comes to mind while reading your post is to look at seeing a psychologist again. You mentioned that you saw one for your panic attacks and they were helpful, but you can also see one for chronic pain. This isn't about 'oh think positive', but giving you concrete strategies to manage your pain but still working towards your future and being able to enjoy things again.

I'm not sure if this is something you've considered but I encourage you to think about it.

I hope that you enjoy being apart of the forums; feel free to let us know how we can help. Chronic Pain Australia also have forums specific to that if you're interested here - http://chronicpainaustralia.org.au/index.php

Hi,

Thank you for the welcome. My low mood is indeed from the pain. Most days it doesn't feel as pain, because it has become part of me. It feels tired and i only feel pain when i have a flare up. I notice it when i become cranky, anxiety goes up, or the body starts to cringe. I mostly know it's happening, but sometimes i'm too late.

I'm still seeing my psychologist, for ongoing guidance. This is my third one, and the first one who is actually helping me.

Hi Raider,

Thanks for your post and great to hear back from you.

I'm really glad that you're seeing a psychologist and especially glad that you're finding them helpful!

One thing you might find helpful is learning or practicing mindfulness. I'm not sure how much you're aware of it or the link between that and chronic pain but there's really good research behind it. This would help you identify these cranky/anxiety feelings before it gets too late, but it can also reduce the pain intensity. This might be worth looking into, or even talking about it with your psychologist.