FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Hi, I'm new here. I have suffered with anxiety issues for the past 25 years. Looking for people to talk to

scott484
Community Member

Hi Everyone,

I'm 34 years old, and for the past 25 years I cannot remember a day that has gone by where I have not had a panic attack.

My fear is choking or not being able to breathe, bizarrely enough I have never actually stopped breathing or choked on something. Which makes it a really odd one.

I have over the years seen psychologists, psychiatrists and my local GP. All have helped to some degree. I have been on many different medications to help along the way.  I started on a new medication a few months back a particular medication wasn't doing it's job, but lately I'm starting to feel that on this new medication all of my fears are coming back more.

I'm starting to avoid situations that make me anxious and am generally withdrawing from life.

I have a full time job, a wife and 2 amazing daughters (2 & 6 years old) who are honestly my entire world. But lately my panic attacks are taking over my life. I can barely drive to and from work without the fear of something happening. My life is stressful as is everyones, I run my own family business and when things are hectic, my panic attacks to increase. Lately I've had a sensation something is stuck in my throat. My logical part of my brain tells me there isn't, but I just can't get it out of my head.

I'm hoping someone else out there experiences the same issues I do!

1 Reply 1

smallwolf
Community Champion
Community Champion
Hi Scott,

Welcome to beyond blue.

That feeling you have of a lump in the throat can feel so real. So I am dealing with depression and anxiety, and had been going through different medications trying to find the right one. Long story short, that feeling you mentioned for me only disappeared when I changed to my current medication. Now of course what works for me might not work for you, and vice versa. But there's hope if nothing else.

I can imagine that running your own business would be quite stressful.

And you also said that you have been to psychologists and psychiatrists that have helped you. I wonder if you can remember any of the distraction and coping tools they might have given you? If not then perhaps you might like to have a look at the threads on grounding and mindfulness on the forums here.

Regardless, if you want to chat some more I will be around

Tim