FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Hi from someone very new to this

Burgerbunz
Community Member

Hi,

My I'm new to this website but not so new to mental health. My partner of 15 years has PTSD, social anxiety, Bipolar (don't ask me which one) and has been through bouts of depression- there's lots of medication and psychaitrists involved. While I've always believed I've been strong enough to deal with myself and everything he is going through (while working full time and raising our children), this year I've found I've been struggling. I'm making every attempt to keep ontop of the little things (small things are worrying me more than they should, I become quite annoyed at people when they don't understand me, I've been sent home for raising my voice at my manager and I've had other management 'speak to me' about not letting people into how I'm travelling at work)- I know something isn't right, but at the moment, I'm not sure what it is and therefore what to do about it. I'm hoping to connect with other carers and see how they cope, and also get myself into a better head space to deal with being a carer for someone who won't ever tell me they are grateful for what I do for them.

1 Reply 1

Summer Rose
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Burgerbunz

Welcome to bb and thank you for sharing your story. It really resonated with me, as I am also a carer for my daughter who has OCD and anxiety. I also have a son, husband and job. I know you are tired, frustrated, stretched to the limit and probably sad.

I really want to encourage you to seek professional help. Make a double appointment with your GP to talk it through. Because if you go down, the whole ship goes down.

When I hit the wall, I went to my GP and she referred me to a mental health nurse in private practice. The nurse helped me understand my daughter's illness, how to help her and how to look after myself.

I started by taking time each day for me. I would take a bath, call a friend or just have a cup of tea in the backyard and watch the stars (it was often late at night before I had a moment alone). I also made sure I got some exercise each day, for me a 2k walk.

I talked to work, but could get no flexibility from my large corporate. I resigned, focussed on helping my daughter and then found other part time work. It was a financial hit but necessary for me. I don't know if this is an option for you but I would definitely talk to your employer and see what support is available.

I also reached out to family and friends for support. My closest friends rallied and it was a big help. So was my mum, who at one time moved in with us for a month.

What you are trying to do is a mammoth task. It might feel thankless but your commitment and effort are admirable. You are teaching your children about love and the meaning of family. You are essentially keeping your husband afloat in a sea of pain. And that matters.

Hang in there and post any time