FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Hello

Chipmunk
Community Member

Hi all.

newbie here. I decided to join because I just simply need help. I’ve never been good at asking for help or admitting when I need it but it’s to the point that I’m now struggling. I have severe anxiety, severe depression, ptsd and post natal depression. Lately everything has just creeped up on me and I’m feeling so confused and overwhelmed over it all.

Does anyone have any advice to jus start to cope or how to handle all these? I have a daughter and I feel guilty that I have depression like I feel I should be happy all the time. I just need help 😞

55 Replies 55

Chipmunk
Community Member

Hey guys!

So I took a well deserved break because everything was still too much, (must admit today was a pretty horrible day) but I’m trying to get better again. I’ve started talking to someone else, I’ve recently found out that I was always the strong one in my family and I was always there for them but when I needed them they weren’t there for me so I was feeling angry and frustrated at that as well as all the other things that were getting me down and I’m working on fixing it.

Im trying this new thing to not let what people say to me or about me worry me cause they haven’t walked in my shoes they don’t know the reason I am why I am so why should I justify myself.

i still have a loooong way to go, especially with court and all and I still don’t know how I’m supposed to be feeling about it all. I’m constantly feeling gross and disgusting no matter how many times I shower.

I really hope I still have you all for support because except my daughter you guys are really the only ones that have helped me get through some of my darkest days so Thankyou.

I’ll try to post more regularly but as you may know when you’re so down you just don’t wanna do anything, yeah I was at that point for a while.

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello Chipmunk, it does feel like there’s no one else who feels the same way as you do, but hidden by them pretending to be OK, there are those who understand, and any negative judgement by someone is only their opinion and not how others feel and want to support you.

Our life consists of asking for help in many different areas so how can I achieve something I don't know how to do, you ask someone, mum how do I make a cake, dad how do I paint this wall, and it's no different when you are feeling depressed, allow someone with experience to help you, in your own way.

Best wishes.

Geoff.

Chipmunk
Community Member

That’s the thing, up until now I’ve never been good at asking for help, growing up my dad was always like you have to do everything or cope with everything by yourself and when you’re told that from a young age you really start to believe it aswell in the future.

I guess besides here and my dr I’m struggling to find someone to talk to or let alone asking for help. because yes that’s what I was always told as a child.

sunnyl20
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hey Chipmunk,

It is understandable that you feel this way when it has been ingrained in you from a young age. I am sorry that this has been such a barrier for you and has made seeking help that much more difficult. You do not need to do this alone though. There is support available - whether you are really not coping at all or just feeling a little wobbly. And we are definitely here to support you - we hear you, and we are here for you. You don't have to do this alone. Take care and reach out as and when you feel/want to.

Hi Chipmunk, I hope you're doing ok.

Chipmunk
Community Member

Hey guys.

I’m still plodding along day by day but I’ve been doing better. Finally got a house so I can start relaxing a little bit more, I’ve decided to get in contact with old friends so I have more of a support network. I still have shitty days but I’m working on me and trying to not let anything get to me.

I really didn’t know how much stress I was really under till I moved. But this past weekend has been good.

Thankyou everyone for caring I do appreciate it

sunnyl20
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hey Chipmunk,

It is great to hear from you. I'm really glad to hear that you have been feeling a bit better and have been able to relax a little bit more. Keep on keeping on. We are always here.

Hope you have a good week. Take care.

Chipmunk
Community Member

Hey guys!

sorry for late reply, I’m still fighting but the past couple of weeks have been pretty okay. I’m still struggling mentally but I’m not as bad as I was. I’m finding that I need time for me, I needed to get me sorted. Court will still happen I hope but I’ll get justice. I feel like this is my year.

I still feel up and down but I am doing better

sunnyl20
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hey Chipmunk,

No need to apologise - you can post as much and as often as you wish. It is great to hear from you. I hope you can continue to work through the ups and the downs and find what keeps you going. Thinking of you and sending you strength. Take care.

ecomama
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hey Chipmunk

You're dealing with a lot right now, it's understandable you've felt so overwhelmed at times.

Have you heard of the helpline 1800RESPECT?
They have sweet Counsellors and if you ask, they can put you through to a Trauma Psychologist and they stay with you for the hour if you can.

They were my Saviours when I was going through Courts and a really terrible time.
They helped long afterwards too.

Please consider doing one self-care thing for yourself each day (or more often if you can).
Also extending the same beautiful compassion you show to others, to yourself.

Kindest wishes
Love EM