FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Forum housekeeping - threads with 100+ posts

Chris_B
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi everyone,

Regulars may have noticed that some of our long-running threads from different sections have been moved today to the BB Social Zone. We've been reviewing threads over the last few weeks and have noticed that threads that go past 100 posts have usually drifted away from the original topic and have become more about checking in on a daily basis on any number of aspects to do with wellbeing, as well as the social interaction that has become such a great part of our community here. In some of these threads, the journey is quite incredible, where a person has started out feeling suicidal and has moved to a place where they've recognised how well they're coping and are putting those skills into practice every day.

Although the BB Social Zone is billed as a place for discussing topics other than mental health, anxiety and depression seeps into every aspect of our daily lives and it's not realistic for those of us using the forums regularly to put up walls and make compartments for what's going on.

So from now on, we'll be reviewing threads that go past 100 posts and seeing whether they are suitable for moving to the Social Zone, in order to keep our subject sections focused on specific topics where members are looking for a resolution or support in moving forward in the short term.

Hope this makes sense.

51 Replies 51

blondguy
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni
Hey Chris, what a good idea! The forums will be easier to understand for new people who post as a result 🙂

Starwolf
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member
Yes, it does make a lot of sense.

Guest_5218
Community Member

Hi Chris. In theory, this is a good idea. However when I looked at some of the threads you have transferred to the BB Social Zone, I really do wonder whether the content is really appropriate for the Social Zone. I agree that many of them have become more social in theory and more of a support network, but isnt that what these forums are all about?

I think a far more appropriate action would have been to leave these threads in their appropriate sections, lock them, and ask the person to create a new thread for future support.

An additional problem I can see happening now is that anybody new coming onto the forums may be looking for threads within specific sections - say PTSD, Physical Health, Suicidal Thoughts, etc. And now these very worthwhile threads, which could be very helpful to others, cannot be found within those relevant sections.

I'm sorry, but I see far more negatives to your decision than positives in this case. In fact I personally cannot see any positives or benefits to it at all.

I hope this decision is not as a result of something that occurred recently between Paul and myself where he asked me how I was in the Cafe and I did not respond because I thought it inappropriate to respond in the BB Social Zone? I know Paul was upset about that, for which I am sorry.

With my thread now appearing in the BB Social Zone I do not feel comfortable in speaking my mind or in discussing some of the issues that I have going on in my life. I feel as though I have been silenced or sensored somehow! I expect some others who have had their threads deemed "Social" may well feel the same way.

Does it also mean that from now on when I choose to speak of my past trauma or the related aftermath that my posts are now going to be held up due to moderation processes necessary to ensure it is "G" or "PG" rated content?

I'm sorry Chris, but I am disappointed with this decision.

Sherie xx

Chris_B
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Sherie,

I'm sorry you're disappointed about this. You may recall there have been past situations where we have locked threads and upset people to the point where they have left the forums, so we aren't able to keep everyone happy all of the time. This way, the members involved in these long-running discussions (usually a handful of people per thread) can keep the flow of their discussion going without interruption - the opposite of being silenced or censored! 🙂

I'll try and answer some of your other concerns below.

I no longer feel comfortable speaking my mind in my old thread, now that it is in the Social Zone

Please feel free to start a new thread in the appropriate section if there's something you specifically wish to talk about, eg. the benefits of EMDR therapy, dealing with PTSD triggers etc.

People looking for related threads will not be able to find them

The longer a thread gets, the lower the number of people participating in it. New members are likely to be overwhelmed by threads with hundreds of posts in them, so will not read through. There are plenty of shorter, topic-focused threads in our respective sections where members can find what they're looking for.

My posts will be held up if I discuss certain issues

All posts are subject to moderation regardless of where they are posted on the forum, that includes the Social Zone. Nothing has changed there.

I hope this address your points adequately, anyone else concerned about this change please post in here and let me know. How we best organise the threads on the forum so we keep the majority of existing members happy, while continuing to encourage newbies to engage will always carry tensions with it.

I don't consider the Social Zone to be "less important" than any of the other sections here, connection with others is a cornerstone of wellbeing and this section is one of our busiest.

Chris, thankyou for attempting to explain the reasons for the changes. However you still have not given any valid reasons or benefits in making these changes. I am still extremely disappointed. I agree that the Social Zone remains a very important section for everyone and yet you dont even count posts to the Social Zone, so surely you are being a little contradictory in this regard?

I also disagree with your comment that some long-running threads have merely a handful of people contributing to them. Some of these threads you have moved have much more than a handful.

And some of the threads, especially some in the suicide threads, I find it almost beyond belief that you would consider them suitable for the Social Zone.

I am actually quite distressed that you have made these changes, and I could well become another casualty and leave the forums because I no longer feel free to talk about things that I am not able to do on the outside. I had thought this place was better than that!

A very disappointed,

Sherie xx

Guest_5218
Community Member

Chris, another thing I wish to comment on is your total lack of inconsistency with regards to your classifications.

How come there is a Cafe for youth and a Cafe for the LGBTI community and they are not considered BB Social Zone? Huge inconsistencies here Chris. One rule for one group and a totally different one for others it seems. Bordering on discrimination in fact.

S

james1
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi Chris,

Thank you for the explanation. I held off replying at first because I feel relatively new here and I'm not sure whether I like or dislike the change.

I can understand the desire to keep the specific topic boards separated for short term concerns and advice, rather than long term support. I think that is worthwhile as it can be intimidating for a new member to join in on a thread which is very long.

That said, I don't feel comfortable starting a new thread for each new issue. My issues are linked, they recur, I don't want to fill a board with just my threads, and I would just get lost in all the different conversations and topics.

To be honest, there've been times where I've held back posting something new just because I didn't want to start a new thread, but I was also afraid of bumping my own existing one. So I just didn't post.

And maybe this is just me, but I feel like "Social Zone" could be a bit demeaning. I'm really glad none of my posts were moved there, because my problems feel a lot more real than what befits a "Social Zone", even if it is just seeking some emotional support.

If the goal is to ensure the specific boards remain short and punchy, then it seems like we need an intermediate board between Social Zone and the others. Something for longer term support. I can see the logistical problem of deciding what goes in, but...I don't know. I can understand the frustration with having your problems classified as social.

Anyway, just my few cents. Not entirely happy with the change, but I can understand the rationale, if not the execution. I understand it's hard to keep everyone happy, but I just hope we don't lose the community feel.

Thankyou James for having your two bobs worth. I agree with you that perhaps there is a need for an intermediate area where longer term problems can be transferred to for ongoing support of legitimate major mental health issues. Mental health issues do not suddenly go away, we live them every day, every month and for many every year of our lives.

I too find it utterly demeaning to suddenly have my personal issues of PTSD as a result of rape and then domestic abuse suddenly classified as Social and up for discussion as coffee table gossip!

In fact the more I think about it, the more disgusted I feel.

Sherie xx

Chris_B
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Thanks for the feedback. This is an evolving discussion, and some interesting points have been raised. Post counts for the Social Zone will be reviewed, I'm aware of the inconsistency this now creates, likewise with the Cafe threads in Young People and Sexuality.

In terms of worrying about starting new threads, I think it's reasonable to look at what's happening with any thread you've started once it reaches 100 posts. Is it still on topic? Has it evolved to a point where a new thread would be more reflective of the discussion, and be more conducive to including others? Structured discussion on topics of interest is what sets forums apart as an online discussion medium from other channels like Facebook or Twitter.

I'd be keen to hear from others whether they find "social" to be a trivialising term - the topics discussed on our forums (including those in the BB Cafe) would probably be quite scary dinner party conversation for anyone not familiar with the struggles mental health conditions can bring. I would argue that "social" has a very different definition for us here on the forums, it's about speaking with others who know what we're going through. Some days that'll involve talking about our pets, and other days revealing how we're coping with severe trauma. That's the reality of life for many of us here.

Finally, I realise how emotionally invested we are in the forums, but I'd ask for a little bit of perspective here in equating threads being moved with discrimination - that's a bit demeaning for those experiencing prejudice in the real world on a daily basis.