FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Wrong attitude towards talking

Cuzzies21
Community Member

Psychology hasn't been working for me, my attitude is talking doesn't change anything which is probably the wrong way to look at things?

My second psychologist I've tryed sent me back to my GP to try meds with the understanding to return when I'm in a better state of mind, however the meds have calmed me down so I'm thinking slower but now my attitude is even stronger about talking doesn't help me.

Is there any point me trying Psychology again? I haven't been for 9 months now, but feeling like I need to try something.

15 Replies 15

Bob_22
Community Member

Also I forgot to mention. Another idea is to possibly get in touch with your former psychologist who you found somewhat helpful. They might have a good idea of which psychologists in your area might be suitable for you as they have first hand knowledge. From there you could ask your GP for another referral. But of course only you can decide if you're ready to open up to another clinician.

Hope that helps

Bob

Cuzzies21
Community Member

Just started on new medication and found a new psychologist, not sure if it was a good idea to do both at the same time, feeling rather down right now.

Hey Cuzzie finding a new psychologist is def a good descision if the old one wasn't working out. I'm assuming the meds weren't working either which is why you switched? In any case changing treatments can be tough so I get how you're feeling. 

It can take time to find the right treatment options (going through this myself right now with a new psych which luckily does suit me). Anyways keep us updated 🙂 

Hello Cuzzies, adapting to a new medication can develop many trial and tribulations along the way, especially as you have felt the way you had previously, and yes there will be many questions you keep asking yourself but are you able to answer them yourself, may be not in a rational way, but a psych can ask you these in a different way, some of which you feel aren't appropriate, but to them it's forming an understanding of how they can treat  you.

Everything they say we may not agree with, but it gives us the opportunity to start thinking in another way.

Geoff.

Life Member.

Cuzzies21
Community Member

They changed my meds to try to give me more energy because I'm totally fatigued all the time, psychology requires me to try and when I'm just tried it probably won't work. 

My mental state has taken a big dive recently, which is why I reached out for more support, hopefully this new meds helps.

They sent me for a echocardiogram and a 24 hour blood pressure test, just to make sure there's nothing else wrong, in the past they put it all down to anxiety.

Hi Cuzzies

Doing both means you are willing to try and that is the first step. Well done on doing that. 
if the medication works for you then you will be able to get more out of the sessions with your psychologist. An important thing to remember is that the relationship you have with your psychologist is the most important thing. If you feel you can talk to this person, you will open up and be better able to work on the issues you need to work on. 
well done for taking this big step.