FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

What does AD's really do

MsPhoenix
Community Member

I have been battling depression for a number of years now and tried many different meds. Are the meds to help you cope with day to day and take the edge off your emotional reaction to a situation?  I don't seem to be 'getting better' with the meds I'm on, in fact I am getting angrier, yelling more, hitting things, slamming doors, snappier and just can't stop crying. I would hate to think what I would be like without meds.

Is it possible what I am taking is not compatible for me or is it just the situation I'm in that no medication can make me feel better.

K

5 Replies 5

white knight
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi Ms Phoenix,

It's really a question you should ask your doctor. We are sufferers too so our answers are based on our own experience and that is different for everyone of us.

I really dont think you can base "slamming doors" on AD's. No offense to you but it would be more likely immaturity. I dont know how old you are but when  was in my 20's it wasnt uncommon for me, in times of high stress, to hurl a spanner across the garage. Physical actions/reactions are just silly and look silly. It serves no purpose apart from risking damage. Unless you buy a punching bag and let out your frustrations with that.

Having said all that I feel my AD's keep me in check so I dont fall into the deep pit I used to live in, in cycles.

Cheers  Tony WK

Hi Ms Phoenix,

I hope you are well. As Tony WK says, you should definitely talk to your Doc about this. As far as I understand the effects of AD's can change over time and it pays to have a current diagnosis.

The first time I went on AD's I started having anger outbursts that you could set your clock by. I got off them and the outbursts stopped. 

Are you have any other therapy, talk therapy or such? I think it might take a combination of things to help you to feel better and I think if you never give up, keep trying the things you haven't tried yet, you will come to greater peace and happiness. Love to you.

Jack

My docs attitude the last time I saw him was disappointing. He's comment was "What's wrong you now?"  I have not been back.

I don't know where to start. I need to find someone I can trust and start the whole cycle again. 

I don't feel like I'm believed when I do talk to people. 

Jacko777
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Your doctor's attitude is pretty disappointing MsPhoenix. I can understand that you haven't been back, neither would I. But we don't give up, never ever. We get back in the saddle and we push on. Do you have a counselor you can see? I think it would help you a lot to talk through this with a professional. Perhaps you could ring the BB phone service, it's free and 24/7, they will have some advice on what steps you can take next.

Jack

Surrender
Community Member

Hi there

We all have different chemistry and react differently to medication.  Also you need to sack that Dr.  I have anger/rage issues and have started back on AD after stopping for about a year.  Everyone including myself have noticed a big change in that i don't get angry anymore (not as much).  I am able to think through situation instead of getting angry with just about anyone i came in contact with.  I use to get so angry that i could feel heat coming up my body - this was not a good way to live.

Please contact Beyond Blue they have a database of psychologists.  Also it may be worth your while to do some research on here about the different types of therapies available to you eg. ACT, CBT etc. that way you are given the appropriate referral.  Beyond Blue were able to refer myself and my great aunt (she doesn't speak English very well) to therapists that suited very well.  Prior to this i tried at least 8 different therapists that did not suit me at all.

Also some meds have side effects to begin with but these settle down after a little while.

Take care