FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Wanting to change medication

Muser91
Community Member

I'm a long time sufferer of depression, anxiety and borderline personality disorder but only in the last few years have I been diagnosed and treated. I've been on my current medication for 3 months now and am happy with how it helps my depression, after 2 years failing on anoter medication it's good to finally have a clear head. The problem is it is a huge pain when it comes to weightloss! I've put on 10kgs and am desperately trying to lose weight but can't get a single bit of it to budge! For the last 6 weeks I've gone to the gym at least 4-5 days a week and have been eating seriously healthy but haven't lost any weight at all. This just makes me feel worse!

So my question is how would I go about getting my medication changed? When I was deep in the midst of my depression, I went to 5 different GPs begging them to let me try something new but was continually waved away for overreacting, it wasn't until it was so bad I had to go to hospital that they said well maybe this isn't working.

How am I ever going to get anyone to listen to me now when it's not even that serious this time? I'm worried that if I stay on my current medication I will just continue to balloon up because if I have one slightly bad meal I gain a whole kilo from it and it never goes away. I used to be able to lose weight easily but not anymore!

I want to change my GP as he definitely doesn't listen to me, is always messing up my psych referrals and just generally doesn't seem to know anything about mental health but every other doctor I go to is just as bad! At a loss on where to go from here!

11 Replies 11

blondguy
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello Muser

It is a pain when we find a med that actually works and then our metabolism slows down that used to burn those calories so well.

Ive been on one of the best selling SSRI's for 21 years and do succeed most of the time with keeping the weight off after initially putting on weight.

It is so very hard to find a med that actually works, your best bet is staying on what is working and try to deal with the weight gain using other methods.

I was on the road a lot and had to shrink my lunch to a tiny can of tuna and a few dry crackers to get the system burning up the calories quickly again. It was awful to have these tiny meals but I reduced from a 36 to a 32 in Levi's which was a relief.

Our bodies also increase their calorie burn up rate when we get out of bed early every day and just walking a dog....Its just what has worked with me.....5:30am....ugh! The weight did fall off doing this as well.

Please try to stay on your meds as having them provide you with a clear head and some peace can be difficult to do. I wish I could help you more about the weight. Everyone I know that use meds also have to really watch the portion servings as I do, even though its a pain

my kind thoughts

Paul

Muser91
Community Member
I do watch what I eat very carefully. The best I can do is maintain but that takes a lot of work, 10kgs in 3 months and a gain for every tiny slip up is not how I want to live my life. I was already overweight before and now it's even worse. I don't want to think about how big I will be in a few months time if I don't change anything! It definitely doesn't give me time to focus on my mental health when I'm constantly battling with my physical health!

Hi Muser

I know you do watch what you eat very carefully. No worries there.

The weight increase wont keep increasing....the meds dont work that way....You have had only 3 months on them and the weight issues (only with some...not all) are temporary as your body has to settle into a new rhythm and then maybe have a think about it.

I can see you are a pro-active person with your health. This is my 21st year on the meds and it took me approx 6 months to figure out what was happening.

Finding a replacement medication that will not have possible weight gain as a side effect could take a very very long time (if at all) as most of these meds have the same reaction where weight gain is a factor.

I wasnt playing your situation down for a moment...The forums are a judgemental free zone...

If you can give me a couple of days I will get some more info for you so you can at least have some peace of mind.

I will chase this up for you Muser!

in the meantime I hope you have a good weekend

my kind thoughts

Paul

Hi Muser! Welcome

I see Paul has been in touch. He is super supportive.

I have tried over 12 meds to find the right one for my with my depresdion and bipolar 2. I can seriously say that now I'm on the best most effective meds and dise, that l will endure the negatives. My weight gain was slow but obvious for about 12 months then l lost some because my mind had settled and clearer. That meant l was ready to eat better and exercise more.

I hope that makes sense.Google this please

Topic: medication is a whirlpool- beyondblue

Topic: depression, a ship on the high seas- beyondblue

Tony WK

MarkJT
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Muser, advice above is on point. What i would like to add is that have you sought the advice of a dietician and a good personal trainer? The body is a very complex system that needs all the cogs working to drop weight. What you are doing in the gym may not be the most efficient way.

I would ask around if anyone knows a good dietician and PT and seek their advice and help.

Mark.

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni
hi Muser, this is one of the greatest problems people mention when taking antidepressants or other medication, so while you are suffering any type of depression can I ask you what would be better, to wait for this medication to be able for you to cope with anxiety and depression, because the two of these go hand in hand but unfortunately put on the weight, however, you are then able to handle depression, or to be on no medication and feel terribly depressed with the possibility of not being able to lose anything.
For me there is no doubt and when I am able to overcome my depression then I can concentrate on trying to lose the weight.
Change your doctor someone who has their dedication for you in all ways. Geoff.

Muser91
Community Member
Thanks for the responses. Still worried about how far the weight gain will go. Had some cake at my daughter's birthday party, gained a kilo. Went out for dinner for my birthday, gained a kilo. Had pizza for dinner the other night, gained a kilo. It's never ending 😞 I'm a single mother and sometimes eating 100% perfectly 24/7 is too hard. But I can't handle gaining this much weight. The medication I used to take for 18 months made me gain 10kgs too so that's 20kgs within 2 years 😞 how long can I just sit and wait for it to stop? When I'm so huge I can't even move and it's hindering my looking after my kids? Would be nice if I could just get an opinion from a doctor but the ones in my area are all completely useless!

MsPurple
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Muser

I see everyone has given really good advice but I thought I would also add in. I work in nutrition but I also struggle with a little bit of weight gain post med changes. I have found it frustrating too and have been going to the gym for a few months (same diet as before gym and weight stable) and haven't lost anything. Althought I may work in nutrition and you would think it should be easy for me to lose the extra kg it isn't. I'll let you know why. 1. I can not be objective with myself. 2. Some medications can cause changes in metabolism or cause increased appetite. 3. Maybe my cheat day here and there are too often and the food sizes are too big 4. I obsess and not eat enough, then get so hungry I eat more than I needed for the next meal (starving the body of nutrients when it essentially needs it then eating too much when my metabolism hasn't kick started). This can turn into a visious cycle.

Unfortunately some medications do have the side effect of increased rate due to metabolic changes, water retention or change in appetite. When a doctor puts us on a medication we need to discuss with the doctor the benefits vs side effects. If the side effects outweigh the benefits then it may not be a good solution for you and you need to let our doctor know so they can discuss your options. If your doctor doesn't listen to you or you don't think they do and you lose trust in them maybe it would be a good idea to consider another GP. You need to trust them so you will follow their advice

As for the suggestion on the weight loss. As someone said above seeing a dietitian would be a great idea as they know about individual nutrient requirements as well as medications and their interactions with the body and metabolism. You could also go on a government website and look at the "Australian Guide to Healthy Eating". They follow best practice guidelines what would support weight loss. You need to make sure you don't starve yourself as well as this can cause your metabolism to slow down and it can actually cause a yoyo effect on weight. Portion sizes are important so look at the website and follow their sizes and compare your portions to theirs (is your bowl of cereal larger or smaller). Try eat nutrient dense foods meaning choose an apple with lots of vitamins and minerals over a chocolate bar with similar caloires. All in moderation. Don't deprive yourself of anything. No foods are bad, but some should be only eaten sometimes as a treat.

Hope this helps

Hello Muser

I have not posted on your thread before as Paul, Mark, Tony and Geoff have been chatting and discussing some useful ideas. I want to tell you about my experience of weight gain and loss.

I have put on weight over the years, mainly due to comfort eating. I know this is not your problem but whatever the reason losing that weight is so hard. I lost the most weight when I fell into the pit of depression. In a couple of months I lost 22kg simply because I ate nothing. Well maybe not nothing but close to it. The depression disposed of my appetite and I forced myself to eat a cheese sandwich every day. Not the best way to lose weight and of course as I became well again I started eating again and it was back to square one. Ever since then I have struggled.

Paul commented about taking antidepressants slowing the body's metabolism and it's true. Annoying isn't it? So we are not only fighting to eat the right food but also battling our bodies that just want us to stop making it work harder. Seems a little unfair to be hit with a double whammy. Over the years I have tried various ways to lose weight, sometimes succeeding well and not so well at other times. But it always comes back.

I had the good fortune to be referred to a dietitian by my GP. He is also an exercise physiologist and sometimes talks about exercise, but in general we talk about diet. We started by talking about the food I like to eat, when I eat including snacks, and what happens when I eat. We came up with all sorts issues and I began to see why I was eating so badly. He didn't weigh me every time I saw him or scold me for eating badly and this helped me to take responsibility for my eating habits.

We looked at the things I could do when attacked by the munchies. I could have something 'healthy' although only a small amount, say a piece of fruit, and/or do something to distract me from eating. On my list I have listening to music, sewing both embroidery and making clothes, meditation, talking to people on Beyond Blue, learning to cook different dishes. Perhaps it would help you to make a list of your diversionary tactics. My list is on the fridge door.

He explained that giving up certain foods was hard and we discussed what I could eat, when and how much of the things that caused problems. For example I love fresh, crusty bread and bread rolls. As a treat I can eat one of these a week.

I see I am almost out of word allowance. If you would like to hear more please let me know.

Mary