FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Treatment-resistant depression

Zoostar84
Community Member

I had an appointment with my psychiatrist and previously we had talked about a plan to wean myself of one of my medications and start a new medication. I was willing to try and thought it was a great opportunity to do it now as I am currently on annual leave. My psychiatrist made a minor adjustment to the medication used to help someone with treatment-resistant depression like myself. My next appointment is in 2 months. I left feeling a bit disappointed and a bit frustrated knowing that I will be buying a certain medication that is only partially effective and I know my psychiatrist eventually wants me to stop taking it. I thought to myself, it's similar to buying a faulty product.

Well, for the next 2 months I will be keeping up my busy gym routine.

I will also reward myself by having a massage.

I don't enjoy my work but I am looking forward to going back to work as I want to get back to my busy lifestyle.

Anyone have any suggestions for treatment-resistant depression?

15 Replies 15

Ben1
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Zoostar84!

In response to your note about the enzyme, if you have taken any Monoamine Oxidase Inhibitors (MAOI's) for treatment-resistant depression, your levels of enzymes will be reduced as this is the natural function of the medication.

Treatment-resistant depression is difficult as it often reduces the hope of people experiencing it as they struggle to find an effective combination of medications and/or a lifestyle that works for them. Many studies show that exercise can be as effective in boosting mood as some antidepressants. Finding a supportive friend network, exercising regularly and persevering with your doctor (even those these can be difficult to achieve) will eventually resolve itself into some relief.

One final note: although lots of medications may seem quite similar, medications of the same class can have huge differences in how they work in one person compared to another. Keep persevering! In my experience it took me a long time to find good medication.

Hope this helps!

Thankyou for your response again Mary

I haven't always enjoyed reading books but it is something I like to do in my spare time. I am a member of 2 libraries and wouldn't have thought it would be an interest of mine a couple of years ago. I also enjoy trivia and look forward to doing the quiz in the paper at work during lunchbreak. I understand my interests may change as I get older. I'm just finding it difficult getting really excited about something. Having passion and something that gives me a spark.

There's nothing like a good book and a coffee on a cold day. Yes our tastes change, sometime quite dramatically. What sort of activities did you enjoy in the past? I think I said books and reading have been a constant in my life, it's the genre that changes. But I knew there was something quite wrong when I found I could not read. Not literally, just could not concentrate for more than a page or two. Many people have reported this as a side effect of depression and anxiety.

Having passion and something that gives me a spark. That's a bit of a chicken and egg problem. When we are well we can get excited about various aspects of life and they do fill our lives with joy. In depression we need these distractions to help us get well again but find it difficult to muster up any enjoyment and our previous joys cannot find any favour.

Having left a volunteer role I believe I was good at I felt very lost. Housework has never been a favourite occupation of mine and as I said reading lost it's attraction. TV was in the same league as reading, couldn't muster up the interest or motivation to go anywhere and even talking was too much effort. I cannot remember what I did at this time, which rather tells its own story. I think I tried to get interested in my old activities and did manage some embroidery.

Recovering from depression and finding joy in life is rather like building two walls adjacent to each other. Each one needs the support of the other and each one can only grow a couple of bricks at a time before needing the other wall to catch up. As we make our way back into the light we find those tools which will help us to grow up more and see further. Possibilities become more evident and as we look harder so our motivation gets stronger.

I firmly believe our experience of depression or any mental illness changes us in ways we would not have thought possible. These changes are not bad or good in themselves, just a pattern for our new lives. And that life can be as productive as you wish. To return to the walls, we can grow them as fast as we wish once we have learned how to do so, and those walls can be any shape we want.

I would love to know your thoughts on this.

Mary

Thankyou for your response Mary.

In the past I enjoyed playing poker, watching movies on DVD, going to music concerts, listening to music.

I now rarely watch a movie on DVD. I occasionally got to the cinemas. I generally only listen to music when im at the gym.

To go along with your wall analogy. I believe I have set a good foundation and have bought the right tools to help the walls grow. Despite my patience the two walls do not want to grow and even somedays a brick or two fall off.

I also enjoyed betting on the horse races every saturday and going to the races. I now only bet on the major races in spring carnival and only attend 1-2 meetings a year.

My yoga instructor has given the class a job this week. The task of giving self care. I had meaning to get a haircut for awhile now and made it a priority today. Even simple things such as getting a haircut can improve self esteem and attract positive comments from colleagues.