FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Tired

Emmy.
Community Member

Have had to start taking anti depressants again (been on them for a week now) and feel really tired.

Is that a normal side effect? Has anyone else experienced that too and if so, how long did it last?

Thanks

6 Replies 6

JessF
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Hello Emmy, for some medication it is, yes. The potential side effects from any medication should be listed on the leaflet you got from the chemist, if not you can search them online. Sometimes it is a temporary effect and sometimes it lasts longer. 

Emmy.
Community Member
Thanks Jess I didn't get any information from fhe chemist, good tip to look it up online though.

JessF
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Careful where you look as there is a lot of dodgy information out there... NPS Medicinewise is a good Australia based one.

Trish_M
Community Member

And don't forget Emmy that tiredness itself is a fairly typical symptom of depression. I don't know about you but when I am depressed and feel the need to go back onto medication, I am also usually at a point of obsessive worrying and reliving every horrible thing that has occurred or been said or done to me.  This is exhausting, the constant rumination of negative thinking and interrupted sleep does mount up over time. If you're able to take time out, sleep when required, exercise regularly but gently and give yourself a break....you're not well. X

Take care,

Trish M

Emmy.
Community Member

That's true about the obsessing Trish.  I'll give it time.  

I do find exercise & healthy eat really helps too.

Thanks for your reply.

Trish_M
Community Member

Hi Emmy.

My psychologist has helped me to see or understand the various compounds or parts that make up what we call depression and anxiety. It can't simply or easily be explained as "just a chemical imbalance" Sometimes, medication helps to stabilize us.There are many factors coming into play here and some of it is our own maladaption and ways of coping with life. We learn how to view ourselves, we learn how to deal with people and situations, we have a certain genetic makeup, we grow up in a type of family environment, etc.

Please ask and check with your own psychologist but if you're tired, it can be a symptom of your depression. If you are an obsessive thinker and it's usually negative obsessing, again, it can be a symptom of your depression. Do you catastrophize or expect the worst outcome and worry about it long before the actual event? This too can be a hallmark of depression and anxiety. Are these things causing your depression or are they themselves, your depression? What comes first, the chicken or the egg?

Understanding why you think the way you do may very well be the key to some peace and freedom. There is always hope so reach for it.

I think you identified when I mentioned "obsessive thinking" I have always it seems had sceanarios playing in my head, I think, replay and think again about everything and it's usually negative. If "a penny dropped" when you read that, maybe it's something you could explore with a trained professional, psychologist, counsellor, etc

Take care Emmy.

Trish M.