FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Should I quit before applying for centrelink

CrazyKitten
Community Member

Hi there, I'm sorry if this is the wrong place. I suffer severe psychiatric issues including a multiple personality, severe anxiety and hallucinations. The worst part is that its trauma related so anti phycotics don't work. I am seeing a psychologist.

Its making it impossible for me to keep working, my performance is going down and I'm hanging on by a thread. I'm thinking of applying for a disability pension. I have heard that its really hard to get a pension for mental health but I'm not coping. I'm so scared that if I apply while I'm still working (three days a week) they'll reject me to encourage me to keep working. But I'm scared if I quit first and then get knocked back then I'm leaving myself financially stranded, I'm so stressed out trying to cope with life, I'm not sure how much longer I can hold on. Can someone please advise me?

5 Replies 5

blondguy
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi Kitten

Welcome to the forums and good on you for having the courage to post too!

Im sorry that you are going through such a difficult period Kitten, Mental health and gainful employment can be an awkward combination. I understand you as I have had depression and anxiety for a long time and worked at the same time. It is very hard work for sure

You are right that the disability pension is hard to get as the DHS are confused with mental illness as a justifiable illness. You are proactive by having a psychologist..excellent. While you are in this dark place do you have a good GP that you can bounce off every week? They have very good training on mental health nowdays. I still see my doc every 4 weeks for a 'tune up'

Having a job is gold....however as you mentioned if you resign and dont obtain the DP that will create its own set of problems.

At the same time if you are too crook to work then a rest period would be a huge benefit too

Just my humble opinion but a visit to a medical doctor that you get along with would be a great start before resigning from your job.

I apologise for you not having a response until now. We are usually pretty quick Kitten 🙂

I do hope you can post back when you are up to it.

my kind thoughts

Paul

I agree that a break would be a good idea, the problem is that I've been in and out of hospital at least once a year, I've only just left hospital and I'm already falling apart again. I plan to talk to my GP today about how I feel.

Thanks for posting back Kitten!

You have a great attitude and good on you for booking in with your GP. When my anxiety was chronic years ago I pushed myself too hard at work when I was crook and was a wreck for doing so. Like yourself I was worried about work.

Your health is paramount as you know. If you have spiking anxiety and other problems now your doc will be able to help...may be with a decent medical certificate or similar.

I hope you have some peace of mind and the support off your doc too...you deserve it

You are not alone here Kitten. Paul

I'm still not sure if I should quit my job first, if I say I have a job on the paper work they will probably think that I don't need the pension, but if I quit first I feel like I'm asking for trouble. I plan to go into centrelink and just explain everything and tell them the truth, that while I do have a job I'm on the verge of quitting and hopefully I'll get someone understanding who will help me make the choices that are best for me, rather than encourage me to stay in a job that isn't working out for me

Hi CrazyKitten

I'm sorry to hear what you are going through. . Sorry i can't advise, because I'm facing pretty much the same situation as you.

I've also gone down to part time 3 days pw. But i just can't stand the job anymore. My abilities seem to have been anniliated. I too have had yearly hospital visits.

I looked into the free 'job in jeopardy program' that you can get onto without getting onto centrelink. Personally i don't even want my job anymore. It is what triggers me into hospital. As you though, i haven't quit yet for the same reasons of financial uncertainty and my support network is evaporating fast. Which is why I'm here

All the best

W