FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

scared to try

JustAnotherMonth
Community Member

so i have been to many diffrent therapist in the past my biggest issue is i wont say anything unless directly asked, they ask me about my day my week ect. and im just thinking how is this helping i want to just talk about the issue at hand (my trauma) and i feel to awkward to just come out and say it. i feel like they tiptoe around it like its a bomb and i am just wanting to face it, it doesnt help that im the type of person who doesnt understand broad questions, they just go over my head and ill answer the most direct because thats what i think they are asking, i also dont get when they are implying something in my head i am not regestering that it was them asking me more because it was just a comment not a direct question (my partner does this too and he often has to explain i missed what he meant like i dont register him saying "im feeling sad" as him asking for me to hug or talk to him because well he didnt directly ask for that)

anyway my point is i am worried about going back to the doctors as i am worried they are just going to tip toe around it again and just make me more confused and frustrated. i have been off medication a year becuase it made me extremely sleepy and well i started to feel better but lately the hullucinations and paranoia are comming back and at random that feeling that the world isnt real when i know it is thinking its a dream, paranoia and constantly worrying if i really did something or not (ie. did i really cross the road on a green light or did i imagine it (then i will hyper focus on the fact it might have been red and have a breakdown from stress) did i go to the park or was that imaginary too ect.) honestly its gotten to the point i dont trust myself, for the saftey of my son my partner and MIL has taken over all childcare duties until i can get my medication sorted. most days are good but the bad ones are really bad and im so worried what to do without having a psych that can just ask me direct questions the worst part is i dont even know what is wrong with me im not diagnosed but i know that this isnt normal im scared it will get to the point i wont be able to tell myself "no thats not real"

4 Replies 4

HappyHelper88
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello thanks for posting and welcome,

I think the therapist is probing you to get an understanding of your thoughts and feelings at the present moment
I get what you mean that you don't want to just directly come out and say it so maybe you could start by giving them a brief history on your life and events so they can understand your situation a bit better

I think maybe it may be helpful to also give them an introduction of what you have mentioned here so they could help you to answer questions better
Tell them you need things spelled out
The therapist wants find out whats going on just as much as u want to get better and they will appreciate this and it will help a lot with the session

That must be tough that's great you are trying to get your medication sorted

After the first few sessions with your psych it will become much easier as they will understand you more each time and they will know what to ask

I hope this helps
All the best and I hope you find the support you are looking for. We are all here to help.

LiamWL98
Community Member

Hello,
I’m very sorry to hear that you are having these issues. I’m not quite sure if I understood everything so I’ll be trying my best to help. If you are comfortable with sharing what your trauma is, we would love to support and help you through this. “Why do you think you can’t tell someone something if they didn’t ask you.” That is the question I asked myself and I feel you should ask yourself. For me, I am very quiet which is why I never would tell people anything unless it were a direct question. Are you quiet or introverted? Do you think heavily about social interactions which are why you think it is awkward to bring up anything that wasn’t asked for?
While talking to a therapist or person you trust, you shouldn’t feel awkward to bring up issues you want to talk about as they’re going to help and talk/listen to you about that issue. When you see tip-toeing try your best to answer the question with what’s been bothering you. For example if a therapist asked “how are you going this week?” answering like “Not the best.” This will lead to follow-up questions and most of the time, they won’t be broad questions. That is how I started to have effective therapy sessions, maybe this will help you. Remember don’t be ashamed if you have a difficult time with broad questions because it is very natural for somebody to need to take a good moment to think/process it.
Therapy (if you can stop them from tiptoeing around it) will teach some important coping skills about any problems/issues that arise.
I hope that everything goes well and remember that the online forums is a safe way to chat about your problems/issues.
Regards,
Liam

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello JustAnotherMonth, it's awkward being in a position like this because the words feel like they are on the tip of your tongue, so to speak, but just come out and I'm sure you aren't the only person being like this, so can I suggest you write them down on a piece of paper, then all you have to to do is hand it over to the doctor/counsellor, but I would also add that at times your thoughts get caught up into thinking about something and this is powerful information to tell them, otherwise, the rest of the session may not be productive.

While you are in a session, you are there to get the help you need and it's easier for them to read how you are thinking, rather than trying to explain verbally.

All the best.

Geoff.

mmMekitty
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hello JustAnotherMonth,

When I first went to see a psychiatrist for my problems, I had so much trouble opening my mouth & saying anything, which were very much about some trauma. He didn’t attempt to pressure me much, a little, gentle nudge, if I had not said anything for more than half an hour.

He might learn a lot from my behaviour, but that does not mean he could read my mind. & if he could, & did, how would that help me speak about the things I had to say? It took me some time to figure that out. Him, putting words into my mouth was not going to do me any good. I had to find my own words and voice. I struggled to do it, too. It was worth the struggle.

From what you said, it seems you think the Psych is tip-toing around a trauma you have suffered, as if they already know everything, & are also thinking it is too big. Like a bomb, you say, so it is that scary? But the Psych is supposed to somehow know exactly what to ask you?

What if you asked “why are you asking ...?” Or “What is it you want to know about...” Whether it is about your day, your feelings, your thoughts, whatever, just ask them to clarify exactly what they want to know. “What, exactly, do you want to know?” Can you ask that?

Or, what about telling the Psych what you have told us? Say, I don’t want to talk about general, irrelevant stuff. I want to face my trauma. You could help me if you would ask me specific questions about it. Ask for what you want from them.

You could rephrase my words; please, use your own You have written some good words here.

& I think it would be a good idea to tell them that you have been off the medication because of how it made you so sleepy, Then how you felt well. & how, now, you are noticing hallucinations and feeling the world is ‘just a dream’, & how you are not sure if things you think you have done are things you really did do. All of that, which you have mentioned in your post. Would you consider another medication?

You’ve written it well enough for them to get a good idea of what is going on. Maybe, copy the text of your post, paste it into a document, & print it out? Can you do that?

Could you show your post to them?

I used to take writing to my PDr, when I was sure I could not begin to say what I wanted. It gave us a place to start. Often, that’s all we need.

I hope my response to your post helps.

mmMekitty