FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

PTSD and EMDR

Pip25
Community Member

Hi Everyone,

I've been seeing a psychologist since January to get support for PTSD. She's been trying CBT re-scripting but it's been extremely challenging for me and even with medication, I've found it hard to function for days after a session. She's now thinking of changing to to Eye Movement Desensitisation and Reprocessing (EMDR) therapy. Has anyone had any experience with this? Does it work? Is it more/less challenging than re-scripting?

Thanks for your help!

4 Replies 4

Sophie_M
Hi Pip25, we have a number of threads on this.  Here is one in particular you might find helpful:

https://www.beyondblue.org.au/get-support/online-forums/treatments-health-professionals-and-therapies/emdr

You can find others by googling "EMDR beyondblue forums".

el92
Community Member

Hey pip25,

Im going through EMDR therapy at the moment. I have been "processing" for nearly a year now. I havent had CBT as the EMDR worked for me straight off the bat. I have found it works 100% for me. It does get difficult after iv had a session for a few days depending on how much work has been done. I really look forward to my sessions even tho i know im in for some really difficult days proceeding. It does take time just like everything else but in under 12 months iv gone from bed ridden and living with my parents too being completely independant, in my own house caring for my 2 children 100% and the behaviors i used to display that were self destructive have been transitioned into constructive behaviours...i still have my bad days where depression kicks in and anxiety is high however i have found i am able to deal with it when it happens. I just have to remind myself it is a process and those bad days as much as they bring me down and frustrate me are completely 100% normal and will become less and less the more i "process". I hope you find this helpful

Pip25
Community Member

Hi El92,

Thank you so much for your post. You've given some hope during a time when I've been feeling a bit down and defeated.

I hope the EMDR continues to help. Hopefully it will help me too. I have my first session soon.

Thank you again

Aries15
Community Member

Good to hear a positive outcome of EMDR. I have been struggling with a social anxiety issue and depression for about a year and was diagnosed with PTSD only yesterday. I contacted BB chat 2 weeks ago having bottled up how I'm was feeling- I had reached crisis point. I then went to see my GP who referred me to a psycologist. The diagnosis makes total sense to me and the proposed therapy is EMDR. I am hoping that my flash backs, anger and anxiety can subside and I will be able to function rationally!