FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Psychiatrists won't treat me

selfportrait
Community Member

Late last year I had a falling out with my psychiatrist over late payment of fees (I'm on Centrelink because my depression and chronic fatigue have kept me off work since 2015), and I had to stop seeing him. I've been trying for several months to find a new psychiatrist, but every one I've contacted has declined to take me as a patient because of my specific medication requirements and now apparently my reputation as a difficult patient.

The meds I'm on can't be prescribed by a GP, and I ran out of them almost a month ago. I'm very ill and desperate. I know that every psychiatrist has the right to refuse to treat me, and without any money to my name I don't really have any recourse. I don't know exactly what kind of advice I'm even looking for, but if anyone has anything they can share, I need any suggestion I can get.

2 Replies 2

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni
hello Selfportrait, can I welcome you to the forum and concerned that you aren't able to see a psychiatrist and can't get the medication you need.

There are two ways that you can try and the first is to contact psychiatrists, not in your area, which may mean that you have to travel 30 or 40 minutes to see one, but ask them if they bulk bill because some psych's do this, maybe in a complex that has a number of doctors practicing.

Get the help from your doctor, ask them to make the calls and arrange an appointment with someone else or get admitted into hospital where you will be able to see someone and get the medication you need. Geoff.

Dr_Kim
Community Member

Hi selfportrait,

This sounds like a tough case and clearly complicated.

It’s hard to know exactly where to direct you but one thought is maybe via Community Mental Health services in your area.

Sometimes if a case is difficult, the expertise that is available there might be of value and it is free .
There may be waiting periods etc but you might ask your GP for a referral .

You don’t get to choose your psychiatrist but you don’t have to worry about the money issue which is a big bonus by the sounds of things !

I hope this is helpful for you and your GP to discuss.