FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

On the therapy journey

mocha delight
Community Member
I’m starting this thread to post about anything related to my treatment & therapy ect ect ect. Which I’ll start of saying I finally got a appointment with a psychologist on the 9th of September so over 3 weeks away. But not with the one me gp referred to as that psychologist unfortunately for me was not taking on new clients so I found one off the ‘find a professional’ from beyond blue of course and I did not no where else to go look. So already feel nervous & anxious about this appointment and I only made it today besides this psychologist is not one my gp recommended & referred me to. So now I would ever be grateful if anyone give me tips/hints ect ect ect of what to expect from my first ever psychologists appointment. What do I need to know? Now that most of you all have definitely gone through that first time psychologist appointment what kind of things should I ask/tell/mention? How many appointments average until I get a diagnosis? Do psychologists make the diagnosis’s? Does a gp? Or how do I get a diagnosis if a gp’s/psychologists don’t make the diagnosis? Ok yes I’m a complete newbie to trying to get a diagnosis but I just want to be completely prepared of how it works before my appointment. Did I mention I’m nervous and anxious?
82 Replies 82

Hi ecomama yes I did pre antidepressants and have so again for a while. And as to mum she just nitpicks at the stuff I do that’s symptoms of depression ie like starting to sleep more again for example.

Okay so sometimes your GP may increase the dosage.... the anti-depressants seemed to work for a while?

But unless you're getting some form of Counselling alongside the a-d then IDK I don't like a stand alone meds only approach for depression ONE BIT.

Have you looked online at the Wheel of Balance?

So is your mum like the one saying you're depressed?
I'm trying to ask in a round about way if you think it's your MUM causing you to feel depressed?

I hope you get a really good psychologist who makes sense to you and you can relate to and also HELPS you.

It took me ages to beat depression after a major life event. Years in fact but I did it alone ie without meds or Counselling.

For me depression is like a big shadow waiting to swoop over me like a 7ft thick wet blanket when I get to a certain "low" point. I can feel it beginning and sometimes just can't see my way to help myself until.... and then I do.

Then it changes.

Love EM

mocha delight
Community Member
It’s so nice to learn I could of been dealing with one less stressful thing as I found out not long ago on top of everything else that I have going on right now. So one of the receptionists at the practice that the new gastroenterologist I’ve been referred to told me when I booked a week or two ago told me my appointment was on the 26th of this month & whatever time it was. But when I rang to double check a different receptionist told me it’s actually not until the 23rd of next month at 11am. So the date I was told when I made it was wrong and the time I was told at the time was most likely wrong to. I was also told the gastroenterologist my gp referred me to had reviewed my case and he referred me to some other doctor which I took as a normal doctor/gp which I thought was really strange and also the other reason why I called the practice today. But no the original gastroenterologist he had referred me to a different gastroenterologist at the practice as he is busy until sometime next year so can’t get in to see him. So that was nice of him as now I don’t have to wait until who knows when to see him as I’m definitely due to have my first gastroscopy since being diagnosed with coeliac disease. And funny enough if that supposed appointment for tomorrow was right and not wrong it would of coincided with it being two weeks until my appointment with the psychologist.

mocha delight
Community Member
2 weeks today until my first psychologist appointment and I’m not doing to well

Hi mocha, in what way are you not doing well? do you want to talk about it?

Hi smallwolf just a very unsupportive family, feelings and the fact I’m a major emotional eater

mocha delight said:2 weeks today until my first psychologist appointment and I’m not doing to well

Are you anxious about this appointment mocha?

Does your family know you are seeing a psych soon?

xxEM

Hi ecomama thanks for the reply yes partly and yes mum and another family member knows I am

Sucks when you don't feel the support from your family. Perhaps a small consolation but look up the serenity prayer. Some things or people's views cannot be changed. Just because you cannot see it doesn't mean that it doesn't exist.

Are you looking forward to your appointment? How are you feeling about it?

For myself that first appointment was validation and I wasn't making it up.

We can be your support here.

ecomama
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi mocha

How are you doing today?

EM