FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Neurofeedback - Have you tried it?

d7
Community Member

Hi all,

has anyone tried Neurofeedback for Anxiety? I've seen different results showing positive or placebo effects. I'm interested to try it but it's very expensive and so I want to find out as much as I can about it first (typical anxiety symptom right 🙂 )

thanks

Dave

2 Replies 2

romantic_thi3f
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi dhogson7,

Thanks for your post.

I just saw that this was your first post here so thought I'd just say welcome to the forums! It's nice to have you join us!

I personally haven't tried neurofeedback, but I have read a bit about it. Just from what I've read it sounds a bit controversial; in that maybe what's happening could be a placebo affect and not a lot of really solid research studies. Having said that though it's also a relatively safe procedure and I think it would be very interesting; it definitely seems to have worked for others - I'm always curious about how the brain changes and it's neuroplasticity!

There's also a great reply from Dr. Kim here about neurofeedback -

https://www.beyondblue.org.au/get-support/online-forums/treatments-health-professionals-and-therapies/major-depression-neurofeedback-therapy-

Also, think it probably goes without saying but if your Googling (which I would do), just be sure that you're clicking on credible sites! This one is a bit detailed and science-y but can certainly give you a better idea of how it works -

http://www.appliedneuroscience.org.au/neurotherapy

Hope this helps!

Blue_Jane
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Dave

Welcome to our forums! Great to have you online with us.

No I have not tried neurofeedback...I am going to have to do some research on this over the weekend. And yes those of us with anxiety tend to like to know our stuff before trying something new!

You mention you have anxiety, when were you diagnosed? What else have you tried?

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Blue Jane