FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Emailing GP

StgCrw
Community Member
Does anyone have any tips on how to go about composing a letter / email to a go prior to a first visit regarding depression?
I’ve always struggled to talk about this sort of stuff in a face to face setting, so it seems like a good way to go, but not sure how get started.
Anyone tried this? Interested to hear about anyone’s experiences good or bad.
4 Replies 4

Positive_vibes89
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni
Dear StgCrw, thank you for posting on our forum. So you are planning to use this email or letter as a talking point for your GP visit? I can assist you with writing a letter.

Thanks for the offer, I may well take you up on that.

Just looking to get the hard to talk about stuff out of the way in writing prior to my visit I guess?
Also trying to make the most of a measly 15 min appointment. The fellow I’m going to see is very well respected, and as such is hard to get in to visit.

I had a bad experience with a gp previously, possibly because I struggled to get my my point across. It kept me from getting the assistance I clearly need for a long time, so I’m trying anything I can to not end up in the same situation. I’d honestly probably just give if that happened again.

Banksy92
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi StgCrw,

Just wondering: Are you preparing for a meeting with your GP to do a mental health care plan and get a referral for a psychologist (or similar)? If this is the case you may not need to prep as much as you think.

Although I do think it may still be a helpful step for you to write down your feelings and experiences if it's particularly hard for you to communicate them.

In the handful of times I've needed to see a GP to start the journey of getting help for depression, generally they run through a standard questionnaire (multiple choice) with you to determine how you're feeling and may also have a brief conversation about your symptoms/mental state. Ideally they would then refer you onwards to someone who has more time to work through things with you and more specific expertise.

Hope this helps

Hello Positive_vibes, sometimes doctors get so many emails, they tend to just glance through them, but they are all glanced at by his staff first and placed in priority order and if one is really important then he will be notified, so sometimes if you place the problems you are having in point form, then they will be able to read them rather than being in a letter, as important parts may only be glanced over.

Take this in with you and if they feel an appointment needs to be made the following week that's what will happen.

The trouble is they have to read much to try and comprehend the issue at hand, as well as what comes up on your file.

Good luck.

Geoff.