FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Cognitive Behaviour Therapy vs Acceptance Cognitive Therapy

Fontenoy
Community Member
Can someone please tell me the difference between Cognitive Behaviour Therapy and Acceptance Cognitive Therapy?  I have recently made enquiries about the Wellbeing online ecource which goes for 8 weeks advised its emphasis is on CBT.  I also have the book The Happiness Trap and understand it is based on ACT.  What is the difference?  Can you do both at the same time?  Also, can both these approached help without the support of a psychologist?  Last week I attended a meditation evening which I found good but since have seen more relaxation exercises for negative thoughts.  Of late unknown to me I have experienced negativity and talking and thinking badly about others.  I am not sure if relaxation exercises are within the Happiness Trap ACT or the CBT.  Can someone give me some answers here.  Thank you.
6 Replies 6

Beltane
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member
Acceptance and commitment therapy (ACT) - Developed as a mindfulness approach, this type of therapy works to accept thoughts and emotions, without judgement, distance who you are from what you think, such as changing, “I am an anxious person,” to “I am feeling anxious because of my current situation.” You are also expected to make a commitment to change unhealthy behaviors.

I've found ACT very heavily based on recognising thoughts for what they are- thoughts- and learning to "diffuse" thoughts rather than fight against them. So remove their power over you.

Cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) - Focus on identifying, recognizing and changing unhealthy and unhelpful thought patterns and thereby changing behaviors that are associated with the negative thought patterns. Exposure therapy is often used in CBT for anxiety, for example, if you are afraid of dogs, you will be slowly introduced to a dog - first through a picture, then across the room, then next to you until you can confront your fear and understand that your anxiety will lessen with time, providing skills for coping with past, present and future fears.

(Those are actual explanations i found at healthcentral.com)

There is no harm in learning about different therapies. If you do some research, you might find yourself wanting to try one more than the other. You can always switch later on- you can even combine elements and techniques from all kinds of therapies. The only reason you might want to do just one at time is so your brain doesnt get overwhelmed with all the new information. Its always better to just learn one technique at a time, from whatever therapy it comes from.

Remember, it takes time for your brain to learn new ways. Its been stuck in its anxious way of thinking for however long. These are all skills to learn to change how the brain thinks- from anxious to able to cope. So none of the skills will be easy at first- i used to put notes everywhere to remind myself to practice or think about the new technique. I'd practice one technique for a week, then learn the next one... Some i didnt find helpful at all, and at the end of the week i'd just forget it.... Other times id go "this technique is really cool", and it helped to change how i think. I'd write the ones that worked down.

You get enough techniques together- from CBT, from ACT, from whatever else- and your brain will learn better ways to think and to cope, and the anxiety will slowly get beaten.

bluesea
Community Member
'i`ve heard about a new therapy called schema therapy and wondered it anyone has tried it, or doing it and finding it helpful. i`ve had depression for 30yrs,.

HA1
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Yes I have done Schema Therapy.  As I have recently mentioned, I found it to be very good. Probably did more for me than any other treatment.  A light bulb moment. 🙂

K

Chris_B
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi bluesea,

Welcome to the forums. We have a thread on Schema Therapy here, if you'd like to read and contribute to it.

BKYTH
Community Member
Commitment is the most important thing. ACT and CBT are both useful as is meditation in conjunction with either.  Start with one or the other and apply what you learn on a daily basis until you have sufficient understanding of it. In time you can explore other options if you wish........I would suggest you avoid meditation at this time as there are many forms of it and it may be more confusing than useful to you now.................Both ACT and CBT can be used without seeing a Psychologist but your GP is the best person to see on this issue.............Don't get overwhelmed with differing viewpoints. Take note of the second last paragraph of Beltanes post. Good luck. Philip.

RedHill
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member
Thanks for this.  I recently heard on Radio National a similar approach to ACT called Mindfulness Based Cognitive Therapy.  Has anyone had experience with this approach?  Are there any practitioners in the ACT using this approach?