FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Supporting a teenager with depression- how do you continue their education?

Determined_mother
Community Member

Hi, I am caring for a teenager with depression and other parents experiencing this may relate to problems  i encounter in trying to keep him engaged with school.  The education process requires motivation and this is absent as part of depression.  There is some understanding from teachers but they are busy and generally overlook the needs of a student that is absent. A student with a physical illness will get sympathy, phone calls about how they are, cards from the tute groups, facebook posts saying " get well" .  A student with depression is ignored ( my experience anyway) .  Maybe unable to explain to teachers and other students why they are absent or not able to get work done because  of the stigma attached to mental health illness.  

Meanwhile, life is busy for teenagers, the expectation is they progress through school years, participate in sport, attend parties and have lots of friends. Also that they will know what they are going to do on leaving school, be able to select subjects and plan career pathways.   So the teenager that is unwell with depression is left out, left behind and deals with reminders of this exclusion from social media, ignorant teachers and even extended family who might ask something simple like " are you going to the formal, what are you going to do when you finish school, do you have a girlfriend/boyfriend? ". 

So I feel sad for what my teenage child is missing and feel angry at times that our school is ignorant of his needs.

i don't know that there is a solution but if you have read this, thanks for "listening" .  

14 Replies 14

Nothing has changed - here I am also.

JRC
Community Member
Nothing has changed - I am in the same place 4 years later than you.

JRC
Community Member
I am in the same place 4 years later. What is happening out there? This stuff was not at the level it is now - too much online teaching and not enough personal touch.

JRC
Community Member
Yes, absolutely agree and I’m posting this 4 years later - is anyone listening?

JRC
Community Member
Yes, definitely school/s need education - my son is in your place and it’s 4 years since all this posts. My son had anxiety symptoms (unbeknown to me at the time) and his pattern of absence from school was completely overlooked and never questioned - this from a school with a hierarchy of Mentor/House Master/Counsellor/Student Welfare Officer. For 2-3 to years not a word from them to suggest looking beyond physical illness. When things progressed and there was suddenly a red flag because a certain assignment was not submitted, I was told that in the previous year (Year 10) he must have been meeting minimum requirements (he also had a couple of achievements with rugby) - I questioned why regular attendance had not been considered a factor in meeting these minimum requirements. He is (was) obviously a good student but issues completely ignored, They are still not really aware how he is struggling to even get out of bed each day. MORE EDUCATION TO SCHOOL PERSONNEL.