FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

struggling with special needs children

Matchy69
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member
Does anyone else have children with special needs.I am struggling with mine.My youngest cant use a toilet when their at the age they should be.I am getting tired of changing them,does that make me a bad parent?The constant hyperepisodes are taking their strain especially that i am going through other personal stuff in my life
1,005 Replies 1,005

Matchy69
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Thanks sleepy,the formal was last night and went well.The only thing I regret is not taking her in on one of my classic bikes.She had a dress on and wanted to go in a normal car.She didn't want to hire a car or anything.She went in her sisters last model commodore so it will have some nostalgia.About another 4 people went in normal cars and their was about half a dozen classic cars and one girl went on a horse.I noticed my daughter never talked to anyone there and looked so anxious.Some of her class mates asked to have photos with her.Their is 19 in her year and 16 turned up.

Very tired today didn't get home to late and didn't sleep much.Now I an worried what is going to happen when she finishes school.

Take care,

Mark.

Emo
Community Member

Hi Mark,

Thank you for your kind words. I'm praying constantly at the moment as I'm waiting for test results. I'm so glad to hear that your daughters formal went well, I was worrying about it myself. I know how some girls can be if you're not in the popular crowd so I was hoping that everyone was being kind to each other, especially during these difficult times.

I understand your concern regarding your daughters future. I thought you had mentioned some help that the school could offer her even though she's finishing school. Is that right? I think it would be great to grab onto any help that the school can offer which could benefit her transition into the next phase of her life.

I'm still hoping that things are going better with your pregnant daughter. I'm here if you want to talk. I'm happy to reach out when I can. All the best.

Regards,

Emo.

Matchy69
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Emo I am hoping the test results are good for you.I am here if you need to talk.

I think my daughter being in such a a small class with only 19 in year 12 most of them girls helps a lot with not much bullying going on unlike me who had over 200 in my year.

My daughter has funding from NDIS for her but not sure what we can spend the money on.Snd their is another scheme through NDIS that can help transition her from school.I know how hard it will be with her anxiety and all her health problems to be able to function and have a life in this world even with assistance it is going to be challenging for her.I have been there and struggled and know it isn't going to be easy.She is talking about going to Tafe but not sure if she will be able to manage it not being able to talk to other people.School gave us both a routine that we have become accustomed to.

Take care,

Mark.

Jstar49
Community Member

hey Mark,

Nice to see you here again, I add my comments to everyone else's who have missed you!!! Imagine thinking you could sneak quietly back indeed- haha lol! We love you!

Its great to hear how things are going- tho I'm sad for you and your d- so hard to strugle thru the hormonal and other challenges of pregnancy. Does your d feel supported by other ppl in her life? It's so great she has you. All you need to do is show her you care, that will speak volumes.

I know in my pregnancies I felt so uncertain about so many things. You mentioned she split with her H, so I am guessing that has something to do with her feelings atm. So hard! Pregnancy puts pressure on r/ships too.

Wow, so your other d has had her formal! Excellent! Did she enjoy it?

She's going to be heaps better off with NDIS, but as you say, it's the whole issue of knowing what to use it for, and having to deal with all of that. Others have told me it's a lot of work. Does she still want to work with animals? Hoping there is some positive steps forwards so you can stop worrying so much- altho we're parents! We always worry!

So glad you're back, even if it's just for now.

Cheers,

J*

Guest_1643
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Mark, I'm pleased Urdaughter went to the formal, I can imagine 2hen younger I would have felt shy also and struggled to make small talk with people at events like that. I hope she can gain confidence, I'm sure she will. I think lots of teenagers are shy

Matchy69
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi J I have been very sick this week and today I am feeling better.My ex and daughter also got sick after the school formal so many from there.My daughter didn't talk to anyone at the formal and looked scared and sad.A few class mates asked to have photos with her.She was happy in the car on the way home.

My daughter still wants to do some more study at TAFE when she finishes school.Something to do with caring for animals.I am not sure what course yet and how much she will have to go into TAFE and how much she can do online.It will be a 40 minute drive to TAFE from my place.

My pregnant daughter says she's knows shes got my love and support.She has been on sick leave last week but started back at work this week.She says she will take maternity leave soon.

Thanks for your kind words and support.

Take care,

Mark.

Matchy69
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi sleepy my daughter is more then just shy she has never spoken a word to anyone at school,no students or teachers and changes completely when she gets with in a certain distance to the school.She suddenly looks so scared and this has been since she started child care.Not sure how TAFE will go for her if she will be able to manage it.

Take care,

Mark.

Guest_1643
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Mark, I'm sorry that she struggles that way, that's difficult to not speak to anyone at school and makes me feel for her. Does she feel connected to animals or plants, if u don't mind me asking. Hope she goes okay.

I saw a beautiful cat today lazing in the sun and it came to me for pats. Animals can make me feel better

Matchy69
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi sleepy it is really hard thing for people to understand about her mutism.Its very real and debilitating for her.The modern technology with laptops has helped her get through school and pass.

She is very connected to animals especially cats and has two one here and one at her mother's.

Take care,

Mark.

Matchy69
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member
I went to a bike show today and won a trophy for my bike.The first time I have ever one a trophy.My son is so excited as it is his bike.I just spent the hours and money restoring it.Nice little reward.