FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

My husband suffers from GAD~how can I help?

Brooke20
Community Member

I think my husband is suffering from generalised anxiety disorder. I have broached the subject with him a couple of times but he just shuts down or gets upset. He can't sleep, suffers severe headaches, occasional rashes, is extremely irritable and is quick to anger due to pent up tension. He constantly worries about our kids, our relationship, our finances and work. His mother is an anxious person too and he had a horrible childhood with her. I would love for him to get some kind of counselling. But how do I suggest this without upsetting him? I am concerned for his health...and my sanity! Our household is like a minefield, we are all unsure and scared as to what will 'set him off'. Any ideas would be much appreciated. Thank you!

2 Replies 2

ThousandMiles
Community Member

A lot of people really do struggle with accepting the idea that they might have a problem, I think something that will benefit both of you is if you try and empathise with that 😕 I know YOU can see that getting help would be best for him, but he might be resenting or denying that he even has a problem right now. 

I'm really young, so my advice probably won't be so helpful to you, but as someone who suffers from anxiety, I would say that if bringing it up is a sensitive subject at the moment, then maybe leave it for a little while. If it gets significantly worse, calmly voice your feelings again. OR, if he seems to be feeling a little better, try talking to him then. He might feel more able to cope. If you have no luck with either of these, try talking to a counselor about his problems, and about your difficulty communicating with him. They will give you some good advice.

Until that point, just let him know that you are there for him if he needs to talk or vent. Don't try and calm him down or cheer him up, BUT do try and create a relaxed and pleasant atmosphere for him when you can. Do nice things for him, even if it's small things, and maybe spend some time with just the two of you to wind down a bit. He will appreciate it maybe even more than he initially realises. 

Good luck, and remember, don't blame yourself for any of this, and try not to let his stress make you feel stressed. There are always people to talk to if you feel it's all getting too much x

Nervous_Girl
Community Member

Hi Brooke20,

My main advice to you would be to go gently gently. Explain to him you are worried about him, tell him you will support him through it nomatter how hard it gets and offer to go to appointments with him.

Another good idea is to show him information on anxiety disorders so he can see its not as stigmatised as it used to be. GAD sufferers worry about everything, we need to know that things cant get worse before we take a step forward.

All the best