FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Living with bipolar partner

browneyesxxx
Community Member

Hi my name is Nikki, I have been with my partner who has bipolar for over two years. He’s on meds and generally great. But I’ve noticed him get more and more withdrawn from me, touch and verbally. I feel like I can’t talk to him about anything personal. It always creates tension. I’ve left the house today for a couple of days because I’m just tired of it. He’s been saying he will get help but just puts it off. My anxiety is through the roof even with the highest medications. I’m just having to hold everything in because if I’m upset then it’s all his fault. Then the circle begins all over again. I don’t know what I’m expecting from this post, I guess I just need to hear from another partner with some tips etc i don’t want to loose what we have but what we have is slowly slipping away and I’m struggling to hold on to my own health let alone help another 🤷🏻‍♀️ Feeling useless

2 Replies 2

gentlydoesit
Community Member

Hi Nikki, I can only say that dealing with partners, family, friends who are bipolar and on meds are for the most part fine, but even the most focused together people can become restless and create a whole world of anxiety to those closest partners. Just know you are never alone in the neverending circle of personal distancing that seems to happen, especially now. I have had to dig deep to overcome my particular demons, and even though we are different, hurt still hurts in many ways.maybe a few days away or vent to someone you trust. I dont have any concrete tips, but you made a good decision to get on the forum. Feeling useless doesn't mean you are, far from it. Take care.

Dhan
Community Member

Hi Nikki,

I can so well relate to what you have written,being myself a carer for my husband who is under bipolar treatment for over 25 years now that commenced even before our marriage.Each day begins in one way and ends some other way, pretty much like how the mood shifts and it can get extremely overwhelming to cope especially in these tough times.

I can only say stay strong, it is your resilience that can hold things firm.

From my experience can only suggest do look out for those moments when your loved one has happy moods,explore those moments to the max as those can turn out to be the most cherishing memories when things go off track and you feel overwhelmed.

Above everything, a point in time the mood that drives a behavior will pass and you do get back those happy times.

Having said that, whilst medicines help,I believe having frequent doctor appointments and follow-ups jointly are equally important also from what I have seen.

Good luck!