FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

How to be a good friend to someone with depression or anxiety

Stitch
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi everyone,

I read a fantastic article last week that I'd like to share.  The article was written by Melissa Pearce and it describes how her anxiety & depression has affected her friendships.  Melissa has kindly given her permission for the article to appear on the BB forum.  Thank you Melissa.

I "lost" my best friend over 20 years ago.  She simply couldn't deal with my baggage & I guess she just ran out of patience.   I still miss her every day.

I hope this article helps you as much as it's helped me in articulating the pressures that D&A can add to a persons ability to make & maintain friendships.

The article exceeds the word count so I've included the link

Regards

Stitch 🙂

4 Replies 4

HA1
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Thanks Stich - great article and, from my perspective, pretty spot-on!

cheers, K

Valley
Community Member
Hi Stitch! Thank you for the article you shared.  I read it and it was quite enlightening. You see, I posted  “Friend with Depression” only yesterday, and the article you shared is exactly the answer I was looking for.

AGrace
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Stitch,

Thanks for sharing the article.

Valley, I'm glad you found some useful information from the article, and it appears as though you and stitch have made a connection through the forums. Sometimes this can be the best way to seek extra support, when you chat with someone who has an understanding of what you are going through.

AGrace

Stitch
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Valley,

I'm really happy that Melissa's article was so helpful for you.  I've also posted a reply to your "friend with depression" post.

I know that when I've been really blue, I've found it difficult to attend to my daily needs.  Eating well, keeping my place clean & tidy, making sure my bills are paid & even leaving the flat to buy food were all difficult things to do.  I know I would have found it easier to cope if I'd had practical support.

People can often feel helpless in the face of a friends depression but by providing practical assistance, they can help with their friends recovery.

But I think the first & most important step to your friends recovery is finding medical & psychological help. 

The resources tab on this website provides a wide range of information for both people living with D&A and their friends & family.  There is information on how to find medical/psych practitioners in your area as well as heplful hints & coping strategies.  There is also the telephone & online counselling service for people in crisis.

Your friend is really lucky to have someone like you & I hope she is on the way to feeling better soon.

Regards

Stitch 🙂