FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

How do we get help for our Mother / friend when CAT refuses to tell us what is going on?

molksy
Community Member

My best friend and his two adult daughters have been having problems with their mother "P" who is also my close friend. Things are so bad that she has effectively driven them all away with multiple arguments, insistence on others aplogising to her when it is very clear that she is at fault, crying uncontrollably, babbling on at a million miles an hour, unable to complete simple tasks, lying about just about anything, blaming her family and friends for things that she herself has in fact done or said, spending large sums of money (approx $10,000) on items that she believes will set her up in a business.

P has pretty much told everyone that my mate is to blame for everything this "poisoning" of his character has made it virtually impossible for him to get a sympathetic hearing with authorities, doctors, assessment teams etc. His youngest daughter "J" has had to take this all on herself (older daughter is unable to cope with the stress). So J called the mental health triage service and finally convinced them to talk to P. The lady who called P detected she was "very elevated" and agreed to send someone over to assess her. That was last Wednesday - since that time all phone calls to the CAT team have been unanswered, messages have been left multiple times but no-one from CAT has called back. We have all tried talking to P to ask her what the result of this assessment was but she changes her story so we have no idea what is happening.

Why will these CAT people NOT do this family the simple courtesy of calling them and telling them what is going on? It is absolutely unacceptable for them to be treated in this way and I am bloody angry about how pathetic this service has been. The delays and the deceit and the lack of contact have served to ramp up the stress and anxiety for all involved. Can someone PLEASE help us to get P the help she so desperately needs?

I know that CAT teams are underfunded and I get that with no small children involved and no overt threats of harm, P's case is probably a lower priority - BUT that does not make this situation any less distressing for everyone. If we give up on CAT (rapidly looking like a lost cause), how can we get P to a hospital where she can be treated and assessed? Her GP is completely incompetent and refuses to talk to anyone in the family other than P herself.

Thanks in advance to anyone that can provide some useful advice.

Dave

2 Replies 2

les
Community Member

just a thought matey but maybe see local poly or priest if the belief is there. sure do have a lot to cope with. sometimes the polies can intervene and get the relavent  organisation to move. not sure how these intervention things work . it is when all sit around and tell the person that you all are looking for the best for the person.

maybe a friend from the past can cme and visit and supprise. i really feel for you and wish i could do more.....take care......les

Brian_1958
Community Member

The best way to get her looked at by the cat team is to take her to the local hospital emergency. But as with all mental illness's the person has to be willing to accept there is something wrong. If they are not prepared for that then there really is not much to be done. My partner was diagnosed with Bipolar back in April and was slowly coming good and she has now gone on a massive mania episode and I am the enemy again even thou I did nothing wrong. No matter what happens it is a long road to get any mental illness under control.

Hope this helps