FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

First trimester extreme anxiety

Mum-to-be
Community Member

Hi everyone, I’m almost 10 weeks pregnant and I’ve had a lot going on with life ever since I found out I was pregnant, I had a really stressful year last year and this year was supposed to be my stress free year! But for the past 2 weeks I have been knees deep in sourcing evidence and putting together a huge NCAT submission. Long story short I had a lot of issues arise and damages occur at my last rental and the agent has frozen the bond. I’ve been eating like crap, staying up till 5am trying to get this stuff done. My husband has been a major trigger for me having anxiety attacks because he has a major problem with listening and I’m finding myself wasting more time fixing up his mistakes in the tribunal application rather than getting the work done!
I suffer from anxiety and ocd. But since being pregnant my mental health has been so bad, obviously there is the rise in hormones but I’m too the point where I have multiple rage/anger or anxiety attacks a day, I’ve been under a lot of stress for so long and I’m just so so so worried that it will impact my baby, this is my first pregnancy and it’s been so awful I hate not being able to control my emotions but i can’t help but think I am making my baby suffer. I made the mistake of googling “how does stress affect pregnancy” and ever since then I can not stop thinking about weather or not my baby will have behavioural issues or something wrong with it due to my stress and anxiety. In an attack my heart rate rises, I will start to yell or scream end get the urge to throw things I just get so angry my adrenaline is up and I’m just so worried I am hurting the baby, I havnt announced my pregnancy to my family or friends yet because I wanted to wait until the safe zone but I just want to get some advice and speak to someone who’s maybe experienced the same thing? We’re you under chronic stress and anxiety during the first trimester/pregnancy Is your baby okay now? I just need some reassurance.

my husband and I do plan to go see a psychologist once the tribunal stuff is done and I hope we can work through the issues we have (he does not listen, or will ignore me and than when I get upset about something all he does is make excuses and defers the blame and that is what triggers me to get so upset and angry) other than that we do have a great relationship is an amazing person! Just need these issues to stop before baby comes

2 Replies 2

Sb1181
Community Member
I had difficulties controlling my moods, and suffered from anxiety and bouts of anger during pregnancy, my babies are glorious and healthy humans. That said, perhaps find some ways to alleviate your stress? Exercise, gentle music, baths, meditations, whatever it is that helps you deal with it all will be better for your health and relationships which will be better for your baby.

Amanda2000
Community Member

Hi Mum-to-be

I feel for you very much. I too had a lot of worries while I was pregnant. Everyday I would worry about whether the baby had died inside me. I became soooooo worried about listeria that I felt like everything I ate was poison. Once I had some Chinese take-away beef that was very tender but looked reddish in colour, and then afterwards I kept blaming myself for eating it. I talked to my mum to get some assurance. She said the colour was probably due to some soda they put in to soften the beef rather than the beef being raw. Still my worry continued that my baby might be stillborn. The baby was born fine and healthy. And then I worried about cot-death. The whole thing was never-ending ..... until now that they are teenagers, haha.

I can also relate to the issues regarding your husband. My husband is a great provider and he'll get jobs done around the house, but he's admitted himself that he's not good with feelings. I also feel like he doesn't listen to me and he's not compassionate enough, but I try to focus on his strengths and be grateful for the good things he does.