FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Carers payment for my partner and I

Just_me99
Community Member

Hi, I am new to the forums as this is my first post. This question is for anyone who knows about Centrelink and how it works. I have asked them this question several times and keep getting conflicting answers. I am currently getting carers payment for my wife who has PTSD / Depression as well as a pain condition. we have both been trying to get disability for 5 years and they still wont give either of us this. I also suffer PTSD and depression and I have chronic life long back pain. My question is this. Is it possible for her to get a carers payment for me as she is as much a carer for me as I am for her. Basically is it possible for a couple to get carers for each other. I had no problem getting carers payment and I need just as much care as she does. Any thoughts ? Thank you

3 Replies 3

white knight
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi, welcome

We don't normally offer advice on elements of a centrelink benefits however- I googled "centrelink carers payment household" and it came up with this-

"The person you care for can be anyone, including a relative. It can be paid to more than one person in a household, such as a couple caring for each other".

As far as I can see you could be eligible for carers payment each. So I'd apply and see how you go.

Nothing binding in the above but happy to help out.

TonyWK

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello Just_me, if you can google the question you've asked us ' Is it possible for her to get a carers payment for me as she is as much a carer for me as I am for her', and what I've found is this 'Can you be a carer for more than one person?
More than one person in the same household can claim Carer's Allowance. For example, a couple caring for each other can make separate claims.

To ring Centrelink is a nightmare, you can wait up to an hour and a half and then be told to use 'MyGov' which is also awful, but if you have the patience and the time then you'll have to wait.

Geoff.

romantic_thi3f
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Just_me99,

Welcome to the forums and thanks for joining us. I can see you've got some great advice already that's hopefully answered your question.

Here's some more info on the carers payment eligibility:

https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au/who-can-get-carer-payment?context=21816

rt