FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Young daughter has self-harm activities and suicide thought constantly.

MYL6
Community Member

My daughter is 13 yrs old. Late last year, she had a bully from a dancing teacher aid. Then her temper has changed a lot within this half year. She is ok at school, but eaily getting mad at home. From early this year, we have found serveral cutting scars on her arm, and discovered that she has suicide thought for a while. At the moment, she is struggling with night sleep, and always worries about her body weight. We have tried to ask for some help, but she is reluctant to see any phycologist for support. She is not sharing anything with parents, and always lock her up in her room when she is not happy. Recently she had a big argument with me (dad) and does not want to talk to me anymore. We dont know how to handle this situation and look forward to your immediate help. Thanks. 

2 Replies 2

Sophie_M
Hi MYL6 

Thank you for joining these Forums and for sharing your experience with us today. We can hear that your and your daughter are facing a lot right now. We can only imagine how difficult this is for you and want to congratulate you for showing the courage to post and seek support. 

We can see your concern and love for you daughter and want to encourage to reflect on how this may also be impacting your mental health. It can be challenging to support our love ones and it is ok to not be ok. If you ever need to talk we are here for you on 130 22 4636 or on webchat

Our friends at KidsHelpline are also a great option for seeking support. Parents are more than welcome to call and get advice and help. They are always available on 1800 55 100. 

Your daughter may also be ready to reach out for support with KidsHelpline or Headspace. Both organisations are friendly, welcoming and understanding. Your daughter is of course more than welcome to call us as well on 1300 22 4636. 

We hope some of the above is helpful for you, we think that reaching out to this forum is an incredible step.

Kind regards ,

Sophie M

Petal22
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi MYL6,

Im sorry yourself and your daughter are going through this, I understand it would be so hard.

As a parent watching your daughter going through this would feel incredibly heartbreaking and hard to understand.

Please try to keep calm with your daughter and try to show her some understanding and support.

You could just try to be there for her simply just sitting with her and when she is down be that listening ear without judgement.

I understand that your daughter is finding it hard to open up to yourself, is there someone else you feel she would feel comfortable opening up to? A older sibling or Aunt or Uncle or close friend?