FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

??? Whats wrong

Guest_4593
Community Member

Feeling nothing, im stepping out my comfort zone, taking risks. Trying to feel something but nothing i dont feel happy, joy no sense of excitement or fear.. just feel alone and sad and cry alot.

I was asked why i self harmed i said i dont know . And i dont really understand why i do. But thinking now hey its something to feel...
I have to wake up every morning and (GET UP) i have responsibilities like everyone and i have to pretend to everyone that im ok . Work cant have me half there id lose my job.. family annoys me to much for me to have them realise im not ok . So its all fake and pretend all day.. i have about 3 people who i can say im not ok 2 ..but this is been going on so long even i wanna leave and ignore myself. Im uncomfortable talking out loud or to professionals im not sure i will get help but i do think ill lose the 3 people i do have very soon . Maybe just need to pretend with them aswell but im drowning suffocating in myself and this sense of emptiness is so overwhelming i just come undone every night when im alone in my room

158 Replies 158

Cassie07
Community Member

Hi Guest_4593

Firstly, depression is an illness- not a decision, therefore its okay to seek help in curing it.

The first step in treating emotional numbness is to identify and treat the underlying cause. A doctor can help with this, though they may refer you to a therapist or psychiatrist. You’ll be asked what medications you take and what other symptoms you have. I know this may be hard but talking to professionals really help.

You could also make an appointment with a psychiatrist: A psychiatrist can prescribe you some medication. They can also offer coping techniques to help you regain your emotional feeling again. While antidepressants typically take about six weeks to start working, the doctor may prescribe anti-anxiety medication for you to take while the other drug builds in your system.

Reach out to your friends and loved ones, even if you’re having trouble connecting, reach out to the people who love you. They may be able to help you connect, and you may find relief in telling them what you’re experiencing.

Another really helpful activity to do is exercise: When you’re feeling numb, the last thing you may want to do is get up and moving, but it’s one of the best things you can do. Running, swimming, yoga, and cardio activities are all great for stress relief, but even just taking a walk around the neighborhood can help flood your brain with endorphins. To get the best results, you can exercise daily.

Make sure you get loads of sleep, if you can get at least eight hours of good quality sleep every night, it could help improve your mood quickly.

Also try to minimize stress. Stress is a huge contributing factor to emotional numbness and depression. Minimizing the stress you experience or improving how you manage it can reduce stress hormones, and help you regain emotional feeling. Reduce the stressors in your life, and practice soothing techniques like meditation or mindfulness to better manage the stress that you can’t get rid of.

Ggrand
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hello Guest4593,

Im sorry your struggling with feeling numb...and crying a lot....

I can resonate to the feeling of being numb and having no joy or happiness in your life..I have been their and when I get down..I still do..

Depression needs professional help to start healing...I tried for a few years to “fix” myself and just continually got worse....Since I spoke to my GP a couple of years ago I am on my way to wellness...Maybe this is something that you could consider....as you say it’s been going on for so long..please reach out for professional help...or your family..

Talking to your family is something that would hopefully benefit you so much with your depression and numbness...Once they understand how your feeling they could possibly help in small ways...Your family is your sanctuary, your loved one, who care and love you a lot, therefore they would want nothing less for you then you being happy and mentally well...Please guest...again maybe something for you to think about...

At night when I lay down to sleep..I listen to adult sleep stories..They go for 30 to 60 minutes..I mostly fall asleep before it ends...The stories take you on peaceful adventures...

Please keep reaching out here when you’re feeling up to it..We are listening and popping in when we can to talk you through this hard time your going through..

Kind and caring thoughts..

Grandy..

Thank you for ur response, and suggestions i have been experiencing alot of different things over last few months but its been the first time this week someone said the word depression. So do u believe thats whats going on depressing?? I know iv suddenly got anxiety and panic attacks.. but do u really think i could be experiencing depression i do get up ever morning and perform my responsibilities

I have told this story in a long time...

I knew in myself that something was not right. And somehow I came upon the K10 test at the beyond blue web site which gave me a recommendation of chatting with my GP. I did that and was referred to a psychologist for a 2nd opinion. So I made that appointment and went and had a chat with the psychologist. At the end of the first session I was told to go back and get a mental health plan. I would find out that I had major depression and anxiety. It was a bit of a wakeup call.

But it was also good in the sense that I could put a name to how I was feeling. And this feeling was something that I had felt for about 2+ years before I getting any help. And with a name, there were also ways to deal with it. That part I am still working on.

On the morning routine ... I also get up and do what is needed. That is also me running on auto-pilot. This may sound ODD but part of the reason I do all that is so that I appear normal. And there are days I want to disappear.

It would be worth having a chat with your GP about how you are feeling? If needed you could also print this page and take it with you.

Tim

Thanks grandy, the more stories i hear i realize this never goes away. the start of the year i said ( its all good ill be better when things settle down) now im actually scared, is this permanent.. im hearing words like depression and disorder and illness and on going.. i know iv got to the worse iv ever been but on going.. think iv just had a reality check...

Sorry major s/hmed , and think i broke my wrist. Thnks talk when better

Ggrand
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hello Guest 4593..

Im so deeply sorry that you s/hed yesterday...Please attend the hospital and get your wrist checked out..

Wanting to let you know Guest that depression in not a life sentence...with professional help it does get better...also anxiety does get better...Please Guest can you try very hard to speak to your Dr..or the hospital Dr when you go to check your wrist out...about what your struggling with..They can help you...

Sitting here with you dear Guest..and listening to you..You matter to us...and we care...please let us know how your feeling when you feel up to it....

Sending you my care and kind thoughts..

Grandy..

Aaronsis
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

I am proud of you, proud you are fighting, proud you are trying and proud you are talking.

You matter and we care so much.

We are here.

Sarah

Thank you, kind words and i needed to hear it right now. Today just sucks