FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Struggling to get help

Doolhof
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

I know this is a place where we are supposed to encourage and support each other, to offer suggestions of where help may be received and to try to be positive in our experiences of reaching out for mental health guidance and care.

Unfortunately that has not been my experience for a long time living in the country.

My GP kept telling me he would make an appointment with me to do a mental health care plan. That took about 6 months. At an appointment I basically told him I needed help, could he please do the plan that day and not make me wait another 4 weeks for a next appointment.

The psychologist he recommended sent me an email stating with the information the Dr had written in the referral she was unable to assist me. She had not even met me!

Wait another 4 weeks for another Drs appointment.  A new psychologist was recommended, I had to drive to the city for this one. Had to wait a couple of months for an appointment. My appointment was to be on Thursday this week. Received an email from the psychologist stating "due to changes in his circumstances he is no longer able to offer me sessions".

I go to the local hospital and am told "the Doctors are too busy seeing more important patients to be able to see you".  The Nurse/Sister actually stated that to me over and over.

Looks like me and my sick mind are just going to have to keep trying to support myself until it doesn't work any longer.

277 Replies 277

Hi Everyone,

I just want to let you know that no matter how messed up my mind is right now, I am safe, just trying to make sense of a mind that takes me to a very dark place very quickly.

The last few days I have been assisted by support workers on the Beyond Blue and Life Line help lines. It seems that even in the turmoil part of my mind knows that I just need to find a way to rest and endure these thoughts for a while before I can process them and move on.

Being in that moment where I feel so confused is overwhelming. I have the support line numbers on my phone for easy access. For anyone else who is struggling right now or who has issues with thoughts to end your life, maybe putting numbers on your phone for easy access would be beneficial. 

I don't want to distress anyone here! I just need to find ways to defuse those intense thoughts.

Eagle Ray
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Dear Dools,

A workbook on mental health could be a really good idea because it seems like you are looking for some structure and that would be a way to do it. It’s something you could work on with the psychologist in terms of understanding your responses, interpretations and behaviours.

Sometimes emotions, feelings and thoughts can be overwhelming and one way of looking at it could be to gradually befriend those emotions, feelings and thoughts so that they seem less threatening. It’s like not necessarily going into emotional content too directly if it’s too much (and maybe that was happening in your psych session), but more indirectly working with strategies as you describe with some kind of scaffolding to hold it together. Working with a therapist can provide a safe holding space to make sense of things as well as practise ways of interpersonally relating with another. As skills and insights develop there you can begin applying them in situations and relationships in the rest of your life.

It seems to me the best way is to go gently and gradually as you begin to make sense of your emotional responses. Be kind to yourself. It’s so clear to me you are trying so hard to sort through and understand things. It’s so understandable you feel exhausted. So I hope you are having a restful day today and can let go of stress and know that there are people who care and supports you can turn to if you need them.

Take care and wishing you a lovely day 🌸🦋🌿

Ggrand
Community Champion
Community Champion

Warm caring hugs..🤗🤗🤗🤗..dear friend..

Doolhof
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi Grandy,

Thanks. I seem to follow this "road" of overwhelming depression too frequently these days. 

I need to remind myself that I have survived this in the past and can do so again! 

You would think I would have learnt by now that this reaction is not necessary, guess depression doesn't act that way though.

Thanks for your care, regards from Dools

Hi Eagle Ray,

I've been a bit brain dead and numb today, that is better than a state of emotional turmoil! I didn't realise the Suicide Call Back organisation had a web site. I had a look on there today and made notes of different points and strategies that will be helpful.

My mind was a little overwhelmed after that so I put on some music and used a texta and pen to add details to some basic paintings I had stashed in the cupboard. Thoughts started to drift, I tried to make sense of them for a while and then read a book.

A friend phoned me out of no where and asked if I wanted to join her for a coffee. It would have been so easy to have said NO but I agreed to meet up, she is a 20  kilometre drive away! We had a nice chat and she was supportive.

I'd taken my walking shoes and stopped on a dirt road on the way home and had a walk. 

I'm going to have to make some enquiries about a mental health work book and find someone who can help me understand the material in it. Reading suggestions and strategies can sometimes be too confusing to make sense of them yourself.

Not sure what I am doing about the psychologist yet!

Eagle Ray
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi Dools,

It’s great you found the info on the call back service website. Good to take a break too when you felt the need to. And I’m so glad you got to meet with your friend. It’s often when we’re struggling with depression that we most avoid others, yet human contact is one of the best things to shift gear out of the state we’re in. It might not solve everything but it often shifts something inside us. Not long ago when I was really depressed I was inside all day. I went to check my mail and met my neighbour, chatted with her and patted her dog. Such a small thing but it made a big difference. It’s great you got a walk in too.

There may well be workbooks available online. I remember someone on here mentioning a workbook she got online relating to attachment issues, but I don’t think she gave the name of it. There might be something to pay for some of them but there should be some that don’t cost much, and possibly some free resources.

There’s no rush to contact the psychologist, which you can do if and when you feel ready. She could be someone to help you with a workbook or she may be familiar with some resources that might be helpful along those lines.

Mindfulness and curiosity can be good ways of approaching challenging emotions. So just observing feelings and emotions with curiosity and without judging them. Often that’s a good starting point so that you can befriend those feelings and emotions, and often that takes a lot of the charge out of them and they begin to make sense without being experienced so intensely. Those are just some thoughts in case they’re helpful.

Take care and hope you have a restful weekend.

Thanks Eagle Ray,

I greatly appreciate all the support and care I receive form people here. I have been writing a lot in my journal. It helps get a lot of thoughts out of my mind. I had read yesterday on one of the web sites about the different styles of unhelping thinking, so when I awoke early this morning and my mind immediately went to unhelpful thoughts that wanted to escalate, I was able to consider them and consider what I was thinking. It defused them a little.

I did look at self help books on line as well and had a look in my bookcase to see what might help. There were a lot of resources on the internet so I will consider a closer look at those too.

It is so exhausting being in this place, I really want to make a difference to how my mind processes my thoughts and the reaction I have to what is going on around me.

I have to work this weekend so I am reminding myself of the good things about my place of employment, I am being thankful for the money I earn and am trying to accept there are parts of my job that are not at all pleasant and I need to find ways to deal with that.

Hopefully I can control my panic attacks around going to work today before they escalate . 

I'm off for a walk now and will keep myself busy before I go to work. I might leave before I have to, take a different route to work and leave time to see if there are any roses in the gardens near work.

May all reading find the strength and courage they need. Kind regards form Dools

Doolhof
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi All,

Over the weekend I Googled printable work sheets and was able to print off some that may be beneficial.

They included "Reflecting on resentment, Thought Diaries - evaluating thoughts, what is depression? Managing relapse triggers, Journal prompts, goal setting and Self care ideas to name a few.

I will start working on those.

Doolhof
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

I feel like I have taken one step forward, I  started to feel a little more confident that I can do this thing called life, that it is going to be okay, then stuff happen. I fall back down in the pit again and I really don't know why I bother to try to climb out.

I know my resilience is low. I'm trying to accept how I am feeling. Part of me is tired of expecting life can be better than this.

Eagle Ray
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Dear Dools,

I can hear how you’re struggling and I know it sometimes feels like just as we take a step forward we go backwards. One way I’ve learned to understand such processes is that we will fluctuate up and down on the way towards improvement and healing. I’ve done work with a method called Somatic Experiencing and there is a principle in that called pendulation. It’s referring to the nervous system moving in and out of trauma states as it makes its way back to homeostasis. In the recovery journey from depression, anxiety, trauma etc the nervous system will naturally have periods of instability as it works towards a new equilibrium. The method involves establishing islands of safety that we can return to any time we feel distress. An island of safety could be a pleasant memory, a visualisation of a place we love to visit or have dreamed about visiting, basically anything that elicits a calming response in our nervous system. Knowing we have islands of safety means we can return to them whenever things start feeling unstable again. I know you’ve mentioned looking at nature pictures you love and that’s something I love doing too. I did that before going to bed last night.

Something else I thought of that may be helpful is the work of Janina Fisher. She’s a psychologist who’s done a lot of work with people with things like complex ptsd and bpd. She looks at structural integration and how in certain conditions part of the self can fragment, but we can experience this fragmented part as if it’s the whole self when it isn’t. So a part that feels like it doesn’t want to go on anymore is actually just a fragment that’s become dissociated from the whole. It’s not the core of who we are. She looks at how we can nurture these fragmented parts and reintegrate them into the whole. When not integrated, a part can act kind of autonomously, like it is running us, and that can explain emotions, thoughts and feelings that seem to have gone out of control. But it’s an unintegrated part that can be nurtured and healed, and understanding that is often the beginning of healing.

Janina Fisher has a flip chart she designed for therapists to work with clients. I’ve not seen it and it’s a bit expensive, but I read that it uses visuals to help clients make sense of their responses. She did it this way because when clients are traumatised they can struggle to process words and information. I’m just wondering if something like that would be helpful for you in the context of therapy, providing a framework for making sense of things. It’s called The Living Legacy of Trauma Flip Chart. It would probably be most helpful to do something like this with a therapist, as it’s in that relational setting that it tends to be most beneficial. If you did visit your psych again you could ask if she knows about it.

Those are just ideas. I feel like you are looking for guidance through the process of making sense of your own thoughts and feelings, and just thought of Janina Fisher’s work as she is oriented to helping clients understand their responses and that that is a key process of healing. There’s quite a few YouTube clips of her speaking on the internet and some of them may be helpful.

Remember you can keep in contact with helplines too if you start feeling overwhelmed. That human contact can help alleviate emotional dysregulation and calm the nervous system along with the feelings and thoughts that are getting a bit distressed or destabilised. I hope you are doing ok today and can find some peaceful activities. Take care and sending you kind thoughts.