FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

I can't get an appointment with my DOctor.

Smb81
Community Member

There are no appointments available until next week with my doctor and her team, and I'm very distressed.  There is a big mix-up with documents I provided to Centrelink about my financial situation and I can't understand how to fix it.  I have been upset all weekend I got the letter Friday night.  I can't think straight.  I have a constant bad headache and my heart is racing.  I've been trying to ring Centrelink all morning and the computerised system kept hanging up on me.  I finally got put on hold and it's been more than 1 and a half hours already and still, that horrible music is playing and I dare not hang up.  

I'm just feeling like what's the point of anything?  I'm old, can't find work, and can't understand the paperwork I must fill out. I need exact date statements from my bank, showing my exact bank balances on that day last year, and the bank won't help me they will only give me the regular 3 monthly statements.  The bank just laughed and said yes can't do it, I said Centrelink is demanding them and they said yes Centrelink is like that, we can't help you.

I need help to fill out paperwork but I can't imagine anyone that could help me.  I don't have friends or anything.  Someone said that Centrelink is there to help you.  I don't feel that's true.  Because of the mistakes they say I have made, I fear I am going to be cut off and have a large debt to pay because these papers were from last year and it took them this long to query them.  

5 Replies 5

Sophie_M
Hi Smb81, welcome to the Forums and thank you for your bravery and openness in sharing here. It's  agood place to hear from others who have had similar experiences, and we can hear that you've been dealing with a difficult situation. 

Financial stress is never easy and we're reaching out to you to offer some support in private. In the meantime, we encourage you to give us a call on the Beyond Blue Support Service. We are available 24/7 by phone on 1300 22 4636 and our counsellors are good at talking people through moments like this and working out options for more support. You can also reach out online at https://www.beyondblue.org.au/get-support/talk-to-a-counsellor.

Thanks again for sharing. Our community is really kind and understanding, we think they’ll have some really helpful advice and perspectives.
Kind regards,
Sophie M

Eagle Ray
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Dear Smb81,

Did you finally get through to an actual person after being on hold? I remember going through a very similar thing trying to contact Centrelink a couple of years ago - being hung up on several times after having to navigate multiple, confusing options and then being on hold for an extremely long time. I also remember having to get my bank to provide a statement for specific dates too. From memory I persisted with a second phone call to the bank and eventually they sent me the statement. I also remember going into Centrelink in person which in itself is often a long and painful process, but at least talking to an actual human I got a few steps closer to sorting things.

I really, really empathise. What I can say is that while you’re going through this uncertain sorting out phase, things do eventually get sorted and work out. It just feels absolutely horrible while you’re in it. I remember feeling super stressed myself.

One thing I’ll say about letters from Centrelink, such as the one you were sent on Friday, is they are often written as if you’ve done something wrong when you haven’t. It’s like they make the letters fit a worst case scenario and then send it to people for whom that scenario doesn’t fit. So it can even feel like a threat but it really isn’t. It’s just a form letter that goes out automatically. I’ve received letters with a threatening tone when I’ve done nothing wrong. Often they say something like if you don’t do this or that then you are breaching Commonwealth law or something along those lines. It’s like they construct all letters as if they are targeting potentially fraudulent people.

So please keep in mind it can all seem a lot worse than it actually is. I’m wondering if there is an advocacy service in your state that may be able to help? Some country towns and regional centres have a Community Resource Centre that may be able to provide advice or somewhere to go for support. Not sure if you are urban or regional. You may not yet be registered with an employment agency, but if you are I would try asking them as well (or even ring one if you’re not registered to see if they can direct you to some help). I’m with a disability employment agency and they have directed me to an advocacy person to help with a form.

See if you can rise above the Centrelink stress and let it go outside the times you’re not working on solving it. I know that’s easier said than done, but perhaps do some things you find relaxing and enjoy that can distract you and give you a break. Just chatting to someone on the BB helpline, as suggested by Sophie, could also help.

Please take care and know that you’ll feel better when it’s sorted and you’re just in limbo at the moment.

Smb81
Community Member

Hi Eagle Ray,

I've not been able to talk to Centrelink yet.  But I was able to manage to make an appointment which is for today.  So I'll try and be calm, I went and got some counselling yesterday and talked it through.  I will come back again to your post and follow your advice when I get back home.  

Thank you for Caring.

Smb81
Community Member

Thank you Sophie I have managed to get counselling yesterday and I will make an appointment with my doctor for when she's available.  I've also been pointed to online zoom doctors that would be available so I am going to try and make an appointment with them. First I have to get through the Centrelink appointment I made for today. 

Eagle Ray
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Dear Smb81,

I hope the appointment today with Centrelink has gone well. I’m so glad you got the counselling support. Keep reaching out if and when you need to.

Best wishes,

ER