FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Definitely unsure about this forum

Jacqui51
Community Member

I have tried to be positive about using this forum but really unsure. For me some of the replies seem formulaic and gubgho positive, not from someone who really does understand.

I am older, tired, depressed and yes at times I self harm and am suicidal. I do see a psychiatrist but even after 18 months not really getting anywhere. I have chosen to gradually take myself off all antidepressants over the 7 weeks they are away. Truthfully no difference that I have noted. Before I was suicidal, depressed and harmed. Now suicidal, depressed and self harm.

Not sure trying this type of forum is any use at all.

26 Replies 26

Sophie_M
Hi Jacqui51, 

Welcome to the forums, we are so glad that you've taken a big step in sharing your thoughts with us here. It's definitely not easy to write your first post, especially when you're feeling pretty apprehensive, so thank you for having the courage to do so. Please know that you've come to safe, non-judgemental space to talk things through and our community is here to offer as much support, advice and conversation as you need.

We're sorry to hear how low and hopeless you're feeling, as it really sounds like you're struggling at the moment. If you believe it could be helpful, we hope to hear more about what's happened in your life to get you to this point. 

Many of our members have also been through a lot in their lives and will be able to talk through these feelings with you.  If you would like to post further, please tell us more about what's on your mind and how we can best help support you. We hope that being part of this community can bring you some comfort, however, we also encourage our community members to reach out to support services when necessary. Counsellors are available via phone for your most difficult moments. Some of these 24/7 services include: And if you find yourself in a situation where you become an immediate danger to yourself, this is an emergency and you should call 000 (triple zero).

white knight
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi Jacqui, welcome

I've been here 9 years and a community champion for 8 of those. A CC is a peer advisor, of course someone that also endures the challenges of mental illness that sometimes has experienced what the poster is going through.

In my case, depression, bipolar, dysthymia and yes I've self harmed and had a brother and uncle pass by their own hands. My sister, daughter and I have had attempts.

The forums greatest features is anonymity and were open 24/7/365. While we aren't professional medical personnel we are a stop gap measure for conversation in between appointments which can be far into the future.

The positivity you've identified is actually ingrown as part of this great place, it isn't a formality nor are we advised to be same. We basically enjoy picking up those that struggle, to give hope all the while knowing that we are survivors that walked a similar path.

Many members here are long term contributors, it's as though it's a home base that provides answers to questions that spontaneously arrive as their struggles change as they progress.

While we can't advise on medications the topic can be complex for some individuals. I'm concerned that going off prescribed meds, although no obvious changes yet, could result in issues if symptoms are cyclic.

At any rate I'm happy you've arrived here. We have a huge library of topics -just use the search bar or start up topics at your desire.

TonyWK

Petal22
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi Jacqui51,

Well come to our forums!

I have a lived experience of OCD, when I was in the grips of this condition it was unrelenting.. I have now recovered thanks to the help I received from health professionals.

It wasn't an easy journey it was a very long one that took perseverance....... it felt like a marathon but its a marathon that I won, if I CAN then id like to give others HOPE that they can too...

I'm now a Community Champion on these forums which is a role that I don't take lightly, I have great empathy for other community members who are going mental health conditions.

I'm here to give others hope, understanding and positivity in finding a way forward for themselves......

Thank you for your honesty and please feel free to tell us more about your journey when you feel ready, we would like to help you.

britishtvfan
Community Member

hi jacqui51, welcome.

the above comments are right. you are safe here, everything is moderated 24/7, everything is anonymous, nobody knows who you are, where you're from, etc etc. kind of like online friends in a way.

i guess it's just like anything, the forums can be helpful for some. it's different for everyone, what helps them & what doesn't. you might find the forums helpful & beneficial like some have.

Guest_1643
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi jacqui,

I'm sorry u feel this way.

If the forums make u feel worse it's OK to step away.

Imstay because of the members, who are caring and non judgemental. I do feel sometimes ppl are unable to speak honestly about their experiences Here and are told to seek medical treatments to feel well.

I use this space in the opposite way, to ground myself by chatting to peers, ppl who get me. I don't come here to recommend medical treatments nor do I want others to recommend things to me. I just want to be met where I'm at.

It may help to vent here but if not that's OK, there are many ways to get help and recover from depression.

Summer Rose
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Jacqui51

Welcome to the bb forum.

I think it’s awesome that you’re willing to try posting on the forum and understand why you may be skeptical. Sometimes when you’re trying so hard to heal and nothing is working, it’s really challenging to put any precious hope and energy into anything.

For me, the best thing about being here is the chance to communicate with people who get mental health. People who are trying their best to help themselves and support others through the worst of times. People who know how hard it is to sometimes just get out of bed each day and, at the same time, be proud of themselves for doing just that.

I’m really sorry that you’re doing it tough. I’m glad you made it through the day and hope tomorrow may be better.

Kind thoughts to you

This is what I meant. This could be a response to multiple posts, just change the header name. Perhaps this is not the right place.

Thanks for responding. I am thinking about it all.

Hi. You sound real, thank you.