FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Botched Surgery

Sadie23
Community Member

Hi.  I have suffered depression for years and have had cancer for the last 7 years.  I had surgery on Monday to fix some of the damage done 3 years ago but it has been completely botched and now I feel completely mutilated.  I didn't think it was possible to look worse than I did before.  Certainly the surgeon never explained how this could all go horribly wrong.  Now I am suicidal.  I have been crying uncontrollably all week and can't sleep.  Obviously I have no intention of going to post surgery follow up appt but am worried about swelling that is happening around wound.  I spoke to another surgeon who has been looking after me for the last 7 years but they won't help because they don't want to upset the other doctor's feelings.  Dressings are still on.  I thought I would feel better once I got over the anaesthetic but now I am really worried about MH.  Any response would be appreciated.

3 Replies 3

Sophie_M
Dear Sadie23

Welcome to the Beyond Blue forums, we are so glad that you have made you way here and had the bravery to post. 

We can hear just how much of an impact this surgery and your recovery is having upon you and will be reaching out to you privately to offer you some additional support this evening, so if you could check you inbox, that would be great Sadie23.

While you wait for a response to your post, we would love for you to give one of our fully trained counsellors a call for some counselling support, we are here 24/7 on 1300 22 4636 or via our WebChat.  In addition, our lovely friends at Lifeline (13 11 14) and the Suicide Call Back Service (1300 659 467) are always there for you whenever things are feeling like too much to cope with.

Thank you again for reaching out, we will leave you in the hands of our lovely community members who will be here on your thread soon. They’re a really amazing community, and will have understanding, advice and kind words for you.  Thanks again for sharing. It’s a powerful and brave first step towards feeling better.

Regards 

Sophie M

Bbydoll
Community Member

Hi Sadie, I've had loads of surgeries over the past 20 years. If the swollen area becomes red and produces heat - then you probably have an infection and would need to see a doctor urgently. Depending on the type of surgery you've had, the swelling may go down. I understand your frustrations with feeling mutilated as I had complications that required further surgery and now am a patchwork of scars. I worry about it, should I  ever start dating again- but that's unlikely any time soon!  

If you don't wish to see your surgeon again, might I  suggest that you see your GP and tell them your concerns, get them to look at your wound and maybe seek another surgeons opinions if you need any further information or treatment.  Best of luck!♡

Sadie23
Community Member

Thanks Bbydoll

I did reply a couple of days ago but it was at 4.30 in the morning and now that I have logged back in I see it didn't post.  Thanks for your response.  I saw GP today and had some dressing removal.  Another appt next week.  Mentally not much better.