FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

When life gives you lemons...

SubduedBlues
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

There is an age old saying that "when life gives us lemons, we should make lemonade."  

I never truly understood this saying until the events in my life led me to become a participating member of the beyondblue forums. The unforseen events in my life really did give me some sour lemons. There were those days that were so bad I desperately wished the day was already over before the sun had even finished rising. But through the support I received on the forums, through reading the troubles of others, connecting with people who had similar encounters, I learnt that I am not alone and slowly learned the recipe on how to make lemonade. 

Whilst I was here, each day I would cling to my computer, anticipating a reply to my posting ... looking to help someone else (whilst trying to forget my own problems) ... reading through questions and answers and advice's and comments. Information and data and happiness and despair, joy and sadness and pure unadulterated emotions and ... 

Argh!!  
I overloaded. 
I broke.  
I separated myself from the forum. 

And... 
I found the strength to get up; to face the day; to make the bed; ; to make another lunch; to give my kids a hug; to wash the car; to make dinner; to do the domestic chores. Each day I did something, and another something; and then something more. and soon I stopped worrying about what I can't do, and started to see what I "can" do. 

And then ... something truly amazing happened... 

I woke up and I was happy.

-- 

So I went out and joined a social group for people with Social Anxiety. And I met some really nice people who ignore all of my quirks and problems and see me for me.  ...and I am happy. Since then I have been out volunteering with other charity groups; and though I still anxious as ever, I found a way that allows me to contribute to society once again. 

Even today, I was volunteering with the beyondblue bus in Newcastle ... it felt really good to be able to give back to one of the groups that has helped me so much. And on this coming Wednesday 17th Dec I am going to a fundraiser event for Black Dog Institute in Sydney (search "sociable charitable people" if you want to come along).

-- 

I just wanted to say thanks to everyone for helping me when my days were blue.And if you are ever in Sydney, stop by some time and I'll pour you a glass of lemonade. 🙂 

D'

10 Replies 10

CrashCoyote
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member
🙂

Doolhof
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Thank you so very much for this wonderful post! Congratulations to you. I am so very pleased you have been able to make such a transformation in your life.

Isn't it great when "the penny drops" and we have a light bulb moment in our brains and we can see the light again.

I really am so thankful you have shared your story here. It is also wonderful you have been able to reach out to help and assist others.

There are so many wonderful organisations people can join as volunteers, and you can gain so much from participating and helping others.

It is heart warming to read such a positive post, thanks again. You have brightened up my morning immensely. Keep up the excellent work.

The Barossa Valley is a little bit too far away from Sydney so I might not call in for the lemonade! I will keep your positive story in my mind though.

Cheers to you, from Mrs. Dools

Neil_1
Community Member

Hi there D'

Thank you so much for coming back to us and providing this beautiful post.

It is always so awesome to read of someone’s success in beating the Black Dog.  Now being happy and contributing back to society – what a beautiful way to be.

I would just like to say “thank you” again for coming to share this and I really hope that you continue to “wake up happy” each and every day.

Neil

white knight
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi D'jected,

What a great post. So happy for you. And that's what forums like this is all about. And your happiness is contagious...

Tony   WK

Magyarok
Community Member

Hi D'

Thank you for sharing your beautiful story.  It is one of inspiration, courage and hope.  Keep making lemonade 🙂

Dave

SubduedBlues
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

My story is your achievement, as I would not be here if it were not for you.

If thanks and gratitude belong to anyone, they belong to you.

D'

SubduedBlues
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member
It's hard to believe that over a year has passed since I found my recipe for Lemonade. I am still out there looking for my successes and volunteering to help others less fortunate than I.

I still have the occasional days of anxiety, usually due to fear of being stigmatized over my Tics, but then I read the printed copy of this post to remind me "I can do this today." and somewhere I find the strength and conviction to continue to be the master over my black dog.

I think it's time that I come back to the forums to impart those successes I have found over these past many months. Where I am far from "cured" I think I might have something insightful or beneficial to share with others seeking advice or wanting someone to just listen to them. Whatever it is, I am happy to give back to those who had helped me when I was so blue.

D'

SubduedBlues
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

It's been three years since then, and now I come to the forums to give back to those who have helped me. Sometimes I find it interesting to re-read through my old posts of days-gone-by. Back in the bad-old-days when I was D'jected; or simply D' -- what a journey it has been.

Much of my life has been filled with tics and trauma. But, those marital breakdowns, friends who self-harmed, and betrayals of trust, are all major contributing factors to who I have become. Had it not been for them, I would not be the same man I am today. It was definitely not easy to live through, as there were days that I preferred to stay under a rock, days that were so dark and gloomy that I thought I'd never see the light again, but 'twas these experiences that taught me so much about me and what I am capable of achieving. It a way, I better off for having gone through it.

The greatest sense of satisfaction is when someone else is able to benefit from my traumatic experiences and heartaches to find a way out of their despair and back into the light. 🙂

SB

Hi SB,

Thanks for a wonderfully inspirational post. Some people can show empathy, sympathy and understanding even though they have not experienced the tough battle of mental health or other issues.

For those of us who have experienced that side of life, it does make it easier for us to be able to reach out and support others, as we have been in their shoes.

I read somewhere that when life gives you lemons, then you make lemonade. After that you find someone who has the gin. We don't want to encourage drinking here, so I will suggest that the gin can be replaced with lime and bitters! Ha. Ha.

The point is, we are not alone in this walk of depression and mental health issues. There are people here willing to help and support each other. To be there and help you make lemonade and add the bitters and lime.

Good on you SB for reaching out to others! Cheers to you, from Dools